There are so many virtual worlds for young people and it is hard to know which world and game is for each age group. Here we have tried to split the virtual worlds into categories with descriptions for you.
Best Virtual Worlds for Kids:
1. Neopets: This is a very popular virtual world for kids and some tweens.
2. Lulilab: This used to be called Playdo, Lulilab lets players travel, chat and build their own worlds. Lulilab has won some awards for its graphics.
3. Nicktropolis: Nicktropolis boasts over 8.6 million citizens, who actively surf, skateboard, snowboard, play games, create avatars and meet friends. It’s sponsored by Nickelodeon, so you know it’s kid friendly.
4. Club ...view middle of the document...
9. Secret Builders I like that this site allows kids to upload their own works of art so they are not jsut interacting, but creating. I also think the integration of historical figures and lessons is quite clever.
10. The Sims 2: The Sims 2 is a very popular and addicting virtual world. It has different societies, games and opportunities to meet friends and experimenting with future dreams.
Best Virtual Worlds for Teens:
11. Teen Second Life This website is much, much edgier than some of the other cartoony sites. I do not know many teens on Teen Second Life, but it is much more like a grown-up playground with more controls than open Second Life.
12. Webkinz World A little less Disney polished than Club Penguin, but I like that it seems to grow and change quicker and stay up with what kids want who are in their playing. A bit older than Club Penguin crowd as well.
13. Super Secret “This is a supercool and beautifully designed new online social game for kids who are ready for more than Club Penguin but who are too young for mySpace. The game transports kids into a secret world where they can chat with friends, play mini-games, complete urgent quests – and grow up virtually from 10 to 18 as they collect points.” I like that this feels a bit older for the tween crowd. It’s also not too expensive at only $30 a year.
14. Whyville “Whyville’s millions of registered “citizens” come from all over to learn, create, and have fun together. Whyville is their world. Whyville has places to go, things to do, and of course, people to see. Whyville has its own...