Cirque Du Soleil
• The importance of technology to a circus.
• Discuss how external environment affects technological issues.
• Explain how a business responds to the changing needs of its customers through systems.
This video discusses the business component of managing a very unique and successful circus. Topics covered include Cirque ...view middle of the document...
Although many of its attendees may not think of it in this light, the circus is a for-profit organization Therefore, it must confront and deal with the same issues facing more traditional businesses, such as how to ensure ongoing customer satisfaction, how to manage costs, how to attract and retain the best talent, etc. Effective management of Cirque du Soleil has allowed it to maintain steady growth in the face of its business risks and challenges, with sales approaching $1 billion a year.
What is in the Video for Students
Ask students if they remember attending the circus as a child or if they have attended one recently. When there, did it ever occur to how much technology the circus used, or were they too busy having fun to think about it? Ask them to identify some other “non-traditional” business organizations that depend on technology to operate.
1. Which factors of production were most critical to Guy Laliberte when he started Cirque du Soleil?
2. How does Cirque du Soleil use technology to its advantage?
3. Explain some of the ways Cirque du Soleil uses technology.