Wordly Wise 3000: Lesson 10
1. Steel traps are cruel because they _______________the animals caught in them.
2. The elephant made its way with _______________ steps through the clearing.
3. The driver ____________ an accident by hitting the brake.
4. Because it was my first attempt at riding, I was given the most ___________horse in the stable.
5. A rattlesnake’s bite can be___________.
6. Health authorities remain _______________for any signs of the epidemic’s ...view middle of the document...
9. My hopes of winning the arm wrestling match ____________when I saw the size of my opponent’s muscles.
10. I was reminded of her highly positive attitude when she walked ______________out the door.
11. The story is not merely silly; it ____________ on the ridiculous.
12. The ___________ of homeless people was the principal subject of tonight’s evening news.
13. No one challenged her _____________ that Tuckerman’s Ravine was too dangerous to ski.
14. The children’s_______________ mood is captured beautifully in the Renoir painting.
15. It takes a ______________mind to solve such a difficult problem.
16. The sales clerk checked the ___________ to see if the book was still in stock.
17. Water lilies are ___________ plants.
18. Charles _____________ that the money entrusted to him was in a safe place.
19. After being on the ____________ of extinction, the bald eagle made a remarkable comeback in the 1980s.
20. The driver showed a ____________ indifference for the safety of others on the highway.
21. Some cities ____________ the amount of pollution in the air.
22. The company’s future looked __________ when the new product failed to sell.
23. Karen’s __________ fingers plucked the harp strings with amazing speed.
24. Penguins seem to flourish in Antarctica’s _________climate.