Whole Foods Market in 2008:
Mission, Core Values, and Strategy
1. What are the chief elements of the strategy that Whole Foods Market is pursuing?
• Basically, people are always worried about looking and feeling their best so their biggest element in their strategy is that individuals who eat Whole Foods will live longer, healthier, more enriching lives.
• Sponsor the local farmers and ranchers to help ensure the better well-being for all individuals.
2. Is the strategy well matched to recent developments and conditions in the natural and organic foods segment of the food retailing industry?
a. Most definitely it is strategically match to recent developments. ...view middle of the document...
They should be putting the information about having a brighter future by being healthier.
4. Do Whole Foods Market’s core values as presented in case Exhibit 3 really matter? Are they “real” or just cosmetic window dressing? What evidence can you cite to support your answer? Have Whole Foods’ corevalues contributed to the company’s success? Why or why not?
a. I think the values due matter, but I think they truly need more individuals to address their feelings towards the well-being of the own safety and living longer. Health can be a very scary thing, thus I think the more they are willing to put the information out there for individuals to see daily and to remind them that they could be eating something just as good just way healthier they might receive more of a feedback. It is all about strategic marketing and how can you gain the audiences attention.
5. How well is Whole Foods Market performing from a financial perspective? Do some number-crunching using the data in case Exhibits 9 and 10 to support your answer. Use the financial ratios presented in the Appendix of the text (pages 240-241) as a basis for doing assessment of the company’s financial statements.
The company is not doing terrible, however I do feel as though they could be doing a lot better by targeting more individuals, for example child obesity is getting worse and worse every year. So why not start targeting the schools and making deals with them. Then the children can go home and want the healthier food which will then force their parents to want to start eating healthier to. We are all constantly judging our bodies and trying to critique them at any expense. Thus, the company could be a very high demanding company.
6. How well is Whole Foods Market performing from a strategic perspective? Does Whole Foods enjoy a
competitive advantage over its rivals? Does the company have a winning strategy?
From a strategic perspective, I think they are doing great targeting those who want/need a healthier lifestyle but I feel as though they are lacking in their competitive advantage. They need to go out there...