Your Turn: Job Evaluation at Whole Foods
Rather than wait until you are next in a supermarket to check out the different types of work, we brought some of the jobs at Whole Foods Market to you. Now that you have some background in job evaluation, it is time to try it out. As a first step, Whole Foods has done job analysis and prepared job descriptions. The results are shown below. Now a job structure is needed. The manager has assigned this job to you.
* 1. Divide into teams of four to six each. Each team should evaluate the jobs and prepare a job structure based on its evaluation. Assign titles to each job, and show your structure by title and job letter. A broad hint: Recall from our ...view middle of the document...
Use waste sheets properly, as directed. Operate and sanitize all equipment in a safe and proper manner. Comply with and follow Whole Foods Market Safety Procedures. Follow established Weights and Measures procedures (tares). Answer the phone and pages to department quickly and with appropriate phone etiquette. Practice proper use of knives, slicer, trash compactor, baler (must be 18 years of age or older), and all other equipment used during food preparation and cleanup. Perform other duties as assigned, and follow through on supervisor requests in a timely manner.
* • Some deli experience preferred.
* • Clear and effective communicator.
* • Patient and enjoys working and mentoring people.
* • Ability to perform physical requirements of position.
* • Ability to learn proper use of knives, slicer, baler (must be 18 years of age or older) and all other equipment used during food preparation and cleanup.
* • Ability to work well with others as a team.
* • Knowledge of all relevant Whole Foods Market policies and standards.
* • Understands and can communicate quality goals to customers.
JOB B (Cashier)
Kind of Work
Assist and focus on customers during entire checkout process. Perform all cash register functions according to established procedures. Maintain a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service. Check out customer groceries efficiently and accurately. Pass entry-level PLU code test. Maintain a professional demeanor at all times. Stock registers with supplies as needed. Follow proper check-receiving procedure. Clean, stock, and detail front-end area with special attention to own register. Change journal tapes and ribbon as needed. Walk produce department at the beginning of every shift to identify and learn new produce codes. Comply with all posted state health and safety codes.
* Excellent communication skills necessary for good customer and team relations.
* • Ability to work well with others.
* • Ability to learn proper use of baler (must be 18 or older).
* • Desire to learn and grow.
* • Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency.
* • Understanding the importance of working as a team.
* • Good math skills.
* • Patience.
JOB C (Team Leader, Prepared Foods)
Kind of Work
Reports to store team leader and to associate store team leader. Provides overall management and supervision of the Prepared Foods Department. Responsible for team member hiring, development, and terminations. Also responsible for profitability, expense control, buying/merchandising, regulatory compliance, and special projects as assigned. Complete accountability for all aspects of department operations. Consistently communicate and model Whole Foods vision and goal. Interview, select, train, develop, and counsel team members in a manner that builds and sustains a high-performing team and...