* The Grand Canyon is a massive gorge carved out by the Colorado River over millions of years. It is located in Arizona, USA.
* The Grand Canyon is 446 kilometers (227 miles) long. In some parts it reaches a depth of 1.83 kilometers (1 mile) and a width of 29 kilometers (18 miles).
* Over five million people a year visit the Grand Canyon, most of which are from the United States.
* The Grand Canyon is home to several Native American tribes. The first European to discover the canyon was the Spaniard Garcia ...view middle of the document...
* The Kolb Brothers built a photographic studio on the South Rim. They would take photographs of customers descending the canyon and have them developed by the time they returned. They also made a film of a river trip through the canyon in 1911 which was shown at their studio twice a day every day from 1915 to 1975 at their studio and narrated by Emery Kolb.
* The Grand Canyon became a National Monument on 11th January 1908 and a World Heritage site on 24th October 1979. Billions of years of Earth's geological history are preserved in the walls of the canyon.
* A glass walkway extends over the rim of the Grand Canyon, suspended 1200 meters above the canyon floor. Known as the Grand Canyon Skywalk, it cost over $30 million to build and opened in 2007. It is owned by the Hualapai Indian tribe.
* The temperature in the Grand Canyon can vary greatly depending on the time of year and your location. At its coldest in winter, the North Rim can reach -23 degrees Celsius (-10 degrees Fahrenheit). At its hottest in summer, the inner Canyon range can reach 43 degrees Celsius (110 degrees Fahrenheit).
* The Grand Canyon isn't the deepest gorge in the world. The gorge that holds this honor is the Kali Gandaki Gorge in Nepal. http://tenfactsabout.co.uk/0011grandcanyon.htm