Review Chapter 5
1. Describe the duties of the director of sales in a full-service hotel.
- Director of sales, along with as many sales managers and sales representatives as are necessary to cover the files of previous guests and groups booked by the hotel, develop potential leads, and solicit business for the hotel.
- Reports to the general manager.
- Establishes and coordinates all efforts to obtain group business.
- Makes commitments to a convention or a group function.
- Works closely with advertising agencies in the development of all printed matter and promotional programs.
In additional, a director of sales for hotels and hospitality works in the hotel or ...view middle of the document...
2. What factors would you utilize to determine whether or not a sales
department in a full-service hotel is organized for success?
- A successful sales department usually has a fully stocked reference library that contains the following: copies of booking reports from other hotels in the chain, research of past conventions in the city from the Convention and Visitors Bureau, city and state manufacturer directories, pertinent telephone directories, city directories, world convention dates, a directory of associations, and a standard directory of advertiser
reference : Walker, John R. Hotel & Restaurant Mgmt for Devry Ebook. Wiley Custom Select, 7/4/09. VitalBook file.
3. What information should be included in a function book entry?
- Lists all group business and the guest rooms, meeting space, and other items the hotel has committed for a particular period. Cancellations on a tentative or a definite booking should carry the notation.
4. Why is a one-stop service contract important for an association executive?
- In most case, catering manager is a one-stop service contract. This person who will
become the main contact, act as representative of the hotel and make all arrangement. The one-stop contact makes communication between association executive and hotel easier and more convenient and save time.
5. What is room pickup, and why is it important to a convention hotel?
- Room pickup is the progress of guaranteed reservations received against the number blocked out. All group blockings, including conventions, are subject to a two- week cut off date which mean hotel has no obligation and issues no guarantee on reservations received after the cutoff date. Hotel should clearly print this specific date on all convention confirmations and all reservation cards to avoid future conflict. This process help confirm the number of room needed for convention group.
6. Describe the monthly forecast and the instruction memo, and indicate their purpose.
- Monthly forecast is issued on the first of each month, showing all tentative and definite convention bookings. An instruction memo is issued to each department head for each convention that is booked. The memo is all the information each department needs for the upcoming convention to make it a success. The forecast shows all tentative and definite convention bookings. (Stutts, 02/2005, p. 126)
7. If you were to explain to a newly hired convention services man- ager in a full-service hotel the key aspects of the job, what would you say?
- A good convention service manager needs to have great time management skills and organizational skills it would also be good if they had some event planning experience because they will planning events. Your job isn’t over when they event is over you are also in charge of the cleanup and making sure all equipment is returned to the proper people.