TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
DR HAZEL GACHUNGA
Today companies are taking training seriously due to the deeply held value that successful companies are the ones that take the training of their people seriously.
Continuous improvement in process has meant that new technologies are being used and so people need the skills to operate these.
Again skills are getting outdated very quickly because requirements are getting stringent and changing by the day.
Organizations are facing fierce competition, which is accelerating the pace of change.
Flatter organization structures coupled with ...view middle of the document...
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE STEPS IN THE TRAINING PROCESS
Identify needs Training Manager
Select course Training Administrator/Training Manager
Develop course Training Manager/Training Admin
Determine workload Course developers
Select trainers Training Manager
Develop Trainers Training Manager
Certify Trainers Course developer
Identify Location & Resource Training Mgr/Training Admin
Finalize Budget Training Manager
Finalize training plan Training mgr/Development
Pre-course Admin Training Admin
Prepare course Trainers
Deliver course Trainers
Validate training Trainers
Post. Course Admin Training Administration trainer
Transfer learning Participants, Manager, Trainer
Evaluate Training Trainers/Training Manager
Revise course Course developer trainers
IDENTIFYING LEARNING AND TRAINING NEEDS
Also known as training needs analysis (TNA)
Concerned with defining the gap between what is happening and what should happen.
What is training gap what should be
Corporate or corporate or functional
Functional results standard
Knowledge & skill Knowledge and skill
Possessed skill required
Actual performance Targets or
Or individuals standards of performance
Training needs analysis areas
1. Corporate needs
2. Departments, teams, functions or occupations within the organization.
3. Individuals needs
Methods of training needs analysis
1. Corporate/organization analysis
Focus is the total organization and the things to look at are: -
- Organization objectives
- Short term business plan
- Skills pool – an inventory of knowledge and skills held within the organization maintenance of this will indicate a training needs.
- Organization climate – indicate like turnover, absenteeism, attitude surveys, grievance and strikes will sometimes indicate training needs.
- Efficiency indices – Include costs of labour and materials, quality of product, equipment utilization, cost of distribution, waste, machine down time, late deliveries, repairs, or customers complaints which may require training short fall in performance require training for improvement.
- Requests by line manager – Their requests are used to build up the training plan.
- New systems – Introduction of new technology necessitate training.
In this level of analysis it is necessary to discover what tasks need to be performed.
This involves examining in details the content of jobs the performance standards required in terms of quality and output and the knowledge, skills and output and the knowledge, skills and competences needed to performance the job.
This analysis specifies.
i) Any problems faced by jobholders in learning the basic skills and applying them.
ii) Any weaknesses in the performance of existing job holders arising...