TOPIC: THE EFFECTS OF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT ON THE PERFORMANCE OF KOFORIDUA POLYTECHNIC STAFF
GEORGE ASANTE EDUAH (SB/DHR/13/0020)
MBA HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
1.1 Background of the Study
The Workers or Employees working in or for an organization are now being considered as ‘human assets’ even though different terms like ‘staff’, ‘manpower’, ‘personnel’, etc. are still in currency. The emerging trend is to treat them as ‘human assets’ or ‘human resources’. The success of any organization depends on appropriate use of human assets available in the organization. All other assets could only be supplementary to human assets. Towards augmenting the human ...view middle of the document...
Training is therefore necessary to ensure an adequate supply of employees that are technically and socially competent for both departmental and management positions. (Mullins, 2007)
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Koforidua Polytechnic is the seventh (7th) Polytechnic that has been established in Ghana. It was established in 1997. With almost a decade of existence, it appears the Polytechnic does not currently have a clearly laid down staffing policy, training and development policy as well as a succession plan. Training and development is therefore more or less unplanned and unsystematic. It looks like the majority of the employees are not trained (orientation) upon appointment. As a result, administrative employees’ skills and abilities have over the years not been enhanced to enable them become effective and efficient. Though there is an academic board sub – committee on scholarship and staff development, it seems it does not have any laid done policy which directs members in their work. Therefore implementation of “training” plans (which is mainly granting of study leave without or without sponsorship for either a HND, first degree, masters or a doctorate degree) has been based on precedence and discretions.
One may ask is an organizational staffing policy essential? How would the existence of this staffing policy lead to effective and efficient performance of employees? Does training and development affect the performance of employees and the achievement of organizational goals and objectives? What must be the bases for the need for training and development? How is training and development needs determined? Who must determine training needs of employees? Who conducts training for employees? Where and when must training be carried out? Is training and development policy relevant at all? What must be done to ensure skills and competencies acquired from training transfers back to the job situation? What role would performance appraisal and job description play in the determination of training needs of employees? It is against these backdrops that this research would be carried out.
1.3 Research Objectives
* To find out the academic qualifications of the staff employed
* To examine whether the current job schedule/description is related to their qualification
* To find out how training and development of employees contribute to the achievement of the goals of Koforidua Polytechnic
* To find out whether there are organizational issues that constrain training and development in the Polytechnic.
* To investigate how training and development needs of employees are determined.
1.4 Research Questions
* What are the academic qualifications of the staff that have been employed?
* Is the current job schedule/descriptions related to the academic qualifications of staff?
* Does training and development have an effect on the performance of employees for the achievement of organizational goals in Koforidua...