Total Quality Management Paper
Total Quality Management Paper
University of Phoenix
MGT 449: Quality Management and Productivity
Bob Allen, BSEE, MSSM
December 16, 2009
In this paper the discussion will describe the definition on Total Quality Management or (TQM) and the effects of Quality Management on domestic and global competition. Some examples of TQM application concepts will include an explanation of why a business would use Total Quality Management (TQM) to find an opportunity to solve a problem; how TQM applies to continuous improvement of an existing product or service; and how organizations can use TQM to continue to be better than their competition.
Total Quality Management
Total Quality Management (TQM) is a comprehensive and structured approach to organizational management that seeks to improve the quality of products and services through ongoing refinements in response to ...view middle of the document...
(Retrieved December 16, 2009/ serchcio.techtarget.com)
How Total Quality Management applies or should apply to an organization
By the words of Paul Demings, the American management expert, Mr. Demings states that the fourteen points below is what a business should apply when utilizing Total Quality Management.
1. Create a purpose of improvement of product or service, with the intent of staying competitive and staying in business.
2. Adopt a philosophy of leadership by example.
3. Build quality into the product instead of depending on quality control inspection to catch the errors.
4. Move to a single supplier for any one item, based on loyalty, quality and service, instead of price.
5. Continually improve the production process, improving quality and reducing costs.
6. Institute on the job training
7. Institute leadership designed to help everyone do a better job.
8. Get rid of fear.
9. Get rid of department barriers; build team concepts.
10. Eliminate quotas and management by objective; substitute leadership.
11. Eliminate slogans and other exhortations that are beyond the control of the work force.
12. Remove barriers that rob the worker in pride of workmanship. Remove the barriers that prevent management from pride in the organization.
13. Institute a program of education and self-improvement for all.
14. Get everyone involved in the transformation to total quality management.
In closing to have a successful business in today times it does a company good to use Total Quality Management. What your employees have to say is valuable as are the words from customers. This keeps a company or business strong. Caring about what both sides have to say. A company needs to have a good reputation to be successful; through the TQM this can be achieved.
Retrieved December 16, 2009 from Pulse 2010 website/SearchCIO.com
Total Quality Management (TQM) Jan 30, 2002 searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid182_gci799434,00.html
Retrieved on December 16, 2009. Copyright (C) 2009 by Khera Communications, Inc.,
Article © Copyright 2001 Dr. Paul E. Adams. Syndicated by Paradigm News, Inc