1894; industry and agriculture
• Less economic growth compared to G, B, USA in 19th cent
• Less urban workers
• Iron,textile,smelting,flaxen goods were main industry that were supplementary to agriculture
• Less transport system= couldn’t have an industrial expansion
• Ineffective banking system= less capital+ entrepreneurialism
• Inefficient pattern of agriculture- north couldn’t grow crops- restricted to black earth region fertile
• 80% peasants- not enough fertile land to go around
• Peasants thought land was too expensive- borrow from government loans- large mortgages that took generations to pay
• 1890’s industry grew rapidly- especially coal in Ukraine and Oil in ...view middle of the document...
g. Semgor- united war effort- rejects working with progressive bloc
• Personal commander in chief of Russian army in 1915- responsible for bad
Strains of the war
• Inflation- gold standard abandoned – earnings doubled but food & fuel quadrupled
• Food supplies- requisition, transport & distruptions- broke down
• Army fought well BUT lacked supplies- poor in A&E- bad communications between gov & suppliers- obliged to stop fighting because of lack of boots & ammunition
• Morale decreased as increased casualties and less supplies at home
How far do you agree that the main reason for the fall of the provisional gov was the skill and determination of Lenin in 1917?
Weakness of the P.G
• Dual authority- not elected body- lacked of legitimate authority- unsure = more power to soviets- they were in charge of army orders BUT did not include many Bolsheviks
• Strain of war- had to fight to get war credit from abroad- Tsardom left R bankrupt- unpopular- caused splits- prevented resources being spent on other needs- not genuinely committed to land reform- Bolsheviks seized opportunity “ peace, bread & Land”
• Kerensky became war minister- hope that he would shift to left to ease relation with soviet- opposite isolated – collation with Kadets so compromising with Bourgeosie
• Kerensky offensive- R forces were no match for Germans= mutinies or dissertations
• Kornilove affair – weakened gov- let B out of prison to...