- All animals, including humans show the same behavior when attracted to the opposite sex.
- Males compete to get the best quality females to pass on their genes and females (in humans) look for males who can make her feel secure and provide well.
- Romantic love is a hormone-based motivation system which creates a deep craving to cause lovers to mate and reproduce, and are characterized by;
o Obsession towards the his/her love (sweetheart)
o Making the head spin and heart throb
- Hormone-based motivation system is created by a romantic biological cocktail and is composed of;
o Adrenaline – makes palms sweats and mouth go dry when the sweetheart is around.
o Adjustment of serotonin ...view middle of the document...
o In India, couples who married for love reported diminished feelings of love after being married for more than five years
o Couples who had arranged marriages reported higher levels of love
- Social Penetration Theory
o Argues that close relationship are formed by a gradual process of self-disclosure, which is the sharing of facts about one’s life with a loved one, as well as inner thoughts, feelings, and emotions
- Understanding gender differences in communication styles is an important part of successful problem resolution in heterosexual relationships.
- Social Exchange Theory (Kelley and Thibaut, 1959)
o Argues that relationships are maintained through cost-benefit analysis
o The cost of relationship should not outweigh the benefits
- Equity Theory (Elaine Waster)
o Predicts that people are happiest in relationships where benefits and cost are balanced so that both partners contribute and receive more or less the same
STUDIES STUDIES STUDIES
Wedekind (1995) – ‘Dirty Shirt Experiment’
- Suggests that MHC (Major Histo-compatibility Complex) guides individuals in choosing partners.
- MHC genes are co-dominant (both sets of inherited genes have an effect on a child’s immune system)
- Study involved 44 men and 49 women (wide range of MHC genes)
- For two days men avoid after with odour and eat non-spicy food, then wear a new t - shirt supplied for two nights.
- Women smell the t-shirts after they were returned (unwashed).
- Boxes containing;
o Three boxes of MHC-dissimilar
o Three boxes of MHC-similar
o One control box (unworn t-shirt)
- Women rated the odours of each as unpleasant or pleasant.
- Results; women preferred scent of men with dissimilar genes.
Markey et al...