THE LAST OF THE MOHICAN’S ANALYSIS
A Report to be Submitted to:
Instructor: Mr. Julius Nibut
Literature and Languages Department
Wilma M. Paelma
August 09, 2011
“The Last of the Mohican”
Author: James Fenimore Cooper
Directed by: Michael Mann
Characters and Roles/Position:
1. Hawkeye(Daniel Day-Lewis): Hawkeye’s full name is Natty Bumppo, although he is never called by that name in this novel. His friends call him Hawkeye. Hawkeye is a strongly built white hunter and scout with a fearsome reputation amongst his Indian enemies, who call him “La Longue Carabine,” which is French for “the long rifle.” Hawkeye is an experienced, independent, astute ...view middle of the document...
She has dark eyes and dark hair, having been descended remotely from a black ancestor. Cora is independent and shows great courage when faced with danger, often comforting her weaker sister. When David, Heyward and her sister Alice are captured by the Hurons, Cora is the only one who has the presence of mind to remember to leave a trail. She also defies Magua and resists his demands. Cora is at the heart of the love triangle between Uncas, who loves her and whom she admires, and Magua, who wants her as his wife, but whom she despises. Cora is eventually killed by a Huron warrior.
3. Chingachgook(Russell Means): Chingachgook is the last of the great Mohican chiefs. His name means “Big Serpent,” or “Great Snake,” which according to Hawkeye means that he understands the “windings and turnings” of human nature. Chingachgook is a reliable ally and friend of Hawkeye, capable in battle, stern, and always remaining dignified and calm, even in the most dangerous situations. He takes part in the final battle with the Hurons, only to see his son Uncas killed by Magua.
4. Uncas(Eric Schweig): Uncas, who is known to his enemies as “Le Cerf Agile” (the bounding elk), is the son of the Mohican chief Chingachgook. Uncas is young and he is blessed with beauty, strength, nobility and dignity. He says little, and is content to led his actions speak for themselves. His role early in the novel is to protect Cora and Alice on their expedition. He graciously attends to their needs, and they have confidence in him. Uncas has particular affection for Cora; he also shows great loyalty to Hawkeye. Uncas is an expert hunter and tracker, and even Hawkeye acknowledges his superior skill. He is vital in the party’s efforts to track the path taken by Magua and Cora. He is also a courageous warrior, once saving Heyward’s life in a fight with an Indian. When he is captured by the Hurons, Uncas exhibits only defiance, not fear. He is eventually honored by the Delawares as their chief, since as a Mohican he is descended from the ancestors of the Delawares. In the final battle with the Hurons he is killed by Magua.
5. Alice Munro(Jodhi May): Alice Munro is the younger daughter of Colonel Munro. She is fair-skinned, with golden hair and blue eyes. She is presented as being weak and emotional, although on occasions she does show some courage, as when she prefers to die rather than win her freedom by allowing Cora be taken as wife by Magua. Alice is courted by Heyward and her father gives them permission to marry.
6. Major Duncan Heyward(Steven Waddington): Major Duncan Heyward is the young officer who is charged with protecting Cora and Alice Munro on their trip from to Fort Edward from Fort William Henry. He is an honorable man who at first is unwilling to believe that Magua has deliberately deceived them about the path to the fort. Heyward is an able soldier, brave and resourceful, although he sometimes needs Uncas or Hawkeye to come to his rescue and save his life. He...