Catcher in the Rye Review Questions: Robin Sutcliffe 10C
1. What is unusual about the opening of Chapter 1? What is your first impression of Holden Caulfield? (1)
Chapter 1 can be read from the end of chapter 26 through to the end of the book (You can begin at chapter 26 and read through and everything will read the same) My first impression of Holden is that he is a bit lazy because he will not apply himself.
2. What is "this crumby place" that Holden refers to? (1)
The crumbly place Holden refers to is his school, Pencey Prep.
3. What do we learn about DB? (1)
DB, Holdens older brother, turned down a career in literature because he wanted the glitz and ...view middle of the document...
Spencer grills him about his future and his time at Pency Prep.
10. What does Holden admit about himself ? (8)
Holden admits that sometimes doesn’t act his age.
11. What things irritate Holden about Mr Spencer?
His bumpy chest and the fact he smells of vicks nose drops and how Mr. Spencer reminds Holden about his subject failures. Also how he misses the bed whenever he tries to throw something onto it.
12. Why was Holden "beginning to sort of hate" the old man? (10)
Holden begins to hate Mr. Spencer because of his attempts to change Holden’s attitude towards school, Holden begins to view Mr. Spencer as a bit of a phony.
13. What, according to Holden was the main reason for his leaving "Elkton Hills" school? (12)
Holden alleges that Elkton Hills was a school full of phonies.
14. What do we learn about Holden in this chapter?
We learn that: Holden has a poor vocabulary, he is ‘six-foot-two-and-a-half’ and the right side of his head is full of grey hairs. Also his mind tends to wander when he is bored.
15. What does Holden admit at the start of this chapter? Why do you think he does this?
Holden admits that he is ‘the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life’. He admits this because he actually isn’t the most terrific liar; he just believes that he is.
16. Why doesn't Holden like Ossenburger? (14)
Holden doesn’t like Ossenburger because he believes that he is a bit of a phony (although that is never mentioned in the book) Ossenburger displays all the qualities that Holden links with phony-ness eg. Making that huge speech in chapel and driving to the first football game of the year in a big Cadillac.
17. Who is Ward Stradlater? (15)
Ward Stradlater is Holdens sporty roommate. Ackley has a strong dislike for him.
18. What does Holden want to do when he finishes a good book? (16)
When Holden finishes a good book he wants to be able to call the author up whenever he wants to and talk to them.
19. Who is Robert Ackley, and what does Holden find unpleasant about him?
Robert Ackley is a senior who rooms next to Holden. Holden finds several things unpleasant about him. He doesn’t like the fact that whenever you ask him to do something you have to yell it out more than once, Holden doesn’t like Ackley’s teeth because he never brushes them and he also doesn’t like the fact that Ackley always barges in on himi several times a day and will not leave him alone to enjoy piece and quiet.
20. What favour does Stratlader ask of Holden? (24)
Stradlater wants to borrow Holdens Hounds Tooth Jacket because he spilled something on his grey flannel.
21. What is significant about Jane Gallagher?
Jane Gallagher is a girl that Holden both respects and finds attractive. She and him spent a lot of time together one summer when their families were staying in neighboring houses in Maine.
22. Holden does a lot of "horsing around". Give some examples of his strange...