Questions & Answers for mid-term examination
1- List and describe four reasons why information systems are so important for business today?
- Capital Management
- Foundation of doing business
- Strategic opportunity and advantage
2- Describe five technology and business trends that have enhanced the role of information systems in today’s competitive business environment:
Answer: (chapter 1: page 8)
- Internet growth and technology convergence
- Transformation of the business enterprise
- Rise of the information economy
- ...view middle of the document...
5- What activities convert raw data to make information in information systems? What is their relationship to feedback?
- Three basic activities produce the information organizations need: Input, processing and output.
- Feedback is output returned to appropriate people or activities in the organization to evaluate and refine the input.
6- What is purpose of an information system from a business perspective? What role does it play in the business information value chain?
- From a business perspective, information systems are part or a series of value-adding activities for acquiring, transforming, and distributing information that managers can use to improve decision making, enhance organizational performance, and, ultimately, increase firm profitability.
- Using information systems effectively requires an understanding of the organization, management, and information technology shaping the systems. An information system creates value for the firm as an organizational and management solution to challenges posted by the environment.
7- What is information systems literacy? How does it differ from computer literacy?
- Information systems literacy: broad-based understanding of information systems that includes behavioral knowledge about organization, management and individuals using information systems as well as technical knowledge about computers.
- Computer literacy: Knowledge about information technology, focusing on understanding how computer technologies work.
8- What are the organizational, management, and technology dimensions of information systems?
- Organizational dimension: people, structure, business processes, politics, and culture.
- Management dimension: Sense makers, decision makers, planners, innovators or new processes, and leaders (set agendas).
- Technology dimensions: Hardware, software, storage, communication technology, and network.
9- What are the Internet and the World Wide Web? How have they changed the roles played by information systems in organizations?
- Internet is the world’s largest and most widely used network.
- World Wide Web is a system with universally accepted standards for storing, retrieving, formatting, and displaying information a networked environment.
10- Why do some firms obtain greater value from their information systems than others? What role do complementary assets and organizational and management capital play?
- Some firms obtain greater value from their information systems than others because……………………………………………..
- Role of complementary assets play: New business processes, Management behavior, Organizational culture and training.
- Role of organizational and management capital play: supportive business culture that values efficiency and...