This literature review we will cover all the aspects of the retail industry and how supply chain management affects the industry. We will also be looking into the common industry practices that are used in the developed nations.
Apart from this we shall also be looking at the current situation of supply chain practices that are used in retail companies in India.
Witte, C, Grunhagen, M, & Clarke, R 2003, 'THE INTEGRATION OF EDI AND THE INTERNET', Information Systems Management, 20, 4, pp. 58-65, Business Source Premier, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 August 2013:
The paper talked about the use of EDI in retail supply chains. So it covered the advantages ...view middle of the document...
* It also tells that due to the increased pressure on the manufactures to reduce the cost, they have started degrading the quality of the products.
* To provide the extra value in forward supply chain, the companies can use various strategies such as “Semi-extended”, ”Fully-Extended”, “Decoupled Extended” and “Centralized Extended” based on the level of support provided to the consumers
* Companies can use trends like “Customer Learning”, “Streamline Ordering” to give to the customer.
Fabian Uhrich, Uwe Sandner, Florian Resatsch, Jan Marco Leimeister, and Helmut Krcmar. "RFID in Retailing and Customer Relationship Management" Communications of the Association for Information Systems 23.1 (2008).
This paper investigates the opportunities of RFID to enhance B2C marketing of apparel retailers. The paper presents six out of 17 developed RFID applications that support relationship marketing of apparel retailers to better recruit, retain, and recover customers.
* There can be very useful application that can be used in retail industry like using RFID reader in changing room where the reader can view recommendation based on the Clothes she picked for trying. Hence it will help in cross selling.
* The RFID tagging should be used for creating value and have a differentiated offering than rest of the competition.
* Prices of the RFID tags are still more and cannot be used for all the items
* Tagging should be done for the most valued item as tagging carries a cost that can be recovered only with high profitable product.
* There are considerable security concerns for using RFID since...