Chapter 1: The Nature of Information Technology Projects
What is the current state of IT projects? What are key factors for successful IT projects? Hint: Refer to the summary of CHAO study
IT Projects are showing higher success rates. Better project management tools & processes, smaller projects, improved communication among stakeholders, more skillful IT project managers
What are four different approaches to improving the likelihood of success of IT projects? Hint: Understand the major characteristics of each approach.
1. Value-Driven Approach; Plain & Simple: IT Projects must provide value to the organization
2. Socio-technical Approach; It’s not just about the ...view middle of the document...
collection of logical stages or phases that maps the life of a project from its beginning to define, build, and deliver the product.
1. project goal; should be focused on providing business value to the organization, provides a clear focus and drives the other phases of the project
2. plan project; defines the agreed upon scope, schedule, and budget, used a tool to gauge the project’s performance throughout the life cycle
3. execute the project plan; manage the project scope, schedule, budget, and people to ensure the project achieves its goal, progress must be documented and compared to the baseline plan, must be communicated to all stakeholders
4. close project; ensures that all of the work is completed as planned, final project report and presentation to the client
5. evaluate project; lessons learned to determine those things to do the same and those things to change, evaluate team member performance
How do the levels of cost, staffing, risk and uncertainty, and costs of changes change throughout the PLC?
Low at the beginning of project, increases as project work is being done, decreases at the end as the project work is completed. Risk/uncertainty is highest at the beginning. Cost becomes more expensive for changing scope and correcting errors at the project progresses.
What is Systems Development Life Cycle and how it does it relate to the Project Life Cycle (PLC)?
Sequential phases or stages an information system follows throughout the useful life.
Many of the development activities occur during the execution phase of PLC.
What is IT project methodology? How does it help managing IT projects? What are five phase of IT project methodology?
1. strategic level plan for managing and controlling the project
2. Recommends phases, processes, tools, and techniques for supporting an IT project, must be flexible and include best practices learned from experiences over time
3. conceptualize/ initialize, develop project charter and detailed project plan based on scope, schedule, budget, quality objectives, execute/control the project using approach such as the SDLC, close project, evaluate project success
What is Business Case? Attributes of a good business case?
Analysis of the organizational value, feasibility, costs, benefits, and risks of the project plan
Details all possible impacts, costs, and benefits, clearly compares alternatives, objectively includes all pertinent information, systematic in terms of summarizing findings
Understand the process of developing a business case (i.e., what are the steps, and the sequence?).
With respect to the IT value chain, what is the ultimate goal that IT projects should achieve?
1. select the core team
2. define measurable organizational value (mov), the project’s overall goal
3. identify alternatives(base case alternative, possible alternative strategies (change existing process without investing in IT,...