* Individual Assignment: Learning Inventory
1. Based on the descriptions in the text, where do you see yourself on the Kolb Inventory of Learning Styles?
* I view myself as an Active Experimentation leaning more to the Accommodators learning style. There are two reasons that make me put these down. One reason being the example that was given for active experimentation in the text book. “An example of this ability is being ready to move quickly from thinking to action.” (John N. Gardner, 2011) I have viewed myself with the ability to dive right in to action after instruction. The other reason would be the entire definition of an accommodator in the text book. “If you are an accommodator, you prefer hands-on learning. You are skilled at making things happen, and you rely on your intuition. You like people, but you can be pushy and impatient at times, and you might use trial and error, rather than logic, to ...view middle of the document...
But as I stated in class, working in the group atmosphere at Harley-Davidson has made me become more of an extravert.
3. List your results of the VARK and Multiple Intelligences Inventory learning assessments.
* VARK questionnaire:
* Multiple Intelligences Inventory:
a. What similarities do you see among your results? What are some of the differences you see?
The most common similarities that I can see from the results are the need to hear what I am learning and to use hands-on techniques to improve on that. I always seem to need a combination of classroom and instructor lead session to be an effective learner.
John N. Gardner, A. J. (2011). Your College Experience. In A. J. John N. Gardner, Your College Experience (pp. 60-61). Boston : Bedford / St. Martin's.
The one difference I see has to do with Bodily/Kinesthetic. The VARK inventory showed me low on kinesthetic but the multiple intelligences inventory showed it in the top three. The difference has to do with the body part. The multiple intelligences have bodily/kinesthetic references being good at sports, dance and acting, but the VARK inventory shows kinesthetic only references to gestures. There is a lot more physical demand for sports then just using gestures.
b. Which learning strategy is most effective for you based on these four models? How might this knowledge make you a more effective college student?
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator will be the most effective for me out of the four models. This model is what I hear more in my life. Specifically the extravert versus the introvert types of people.
Being able to use this personality inventory to better understand my instructors and classmates will make me a more effective college student. Although I have considered myself able to see someone’s personality, this has taught me that there is more to personalities than I had originally thought.