STR/581 Strategic Planning & Implementation
Dr. Johnnie Bejarano
September 15, 2013
Cintas Corporation is an organization with a highly integrated intelligence network. Cintas highly integrated network consist of 30,000 employees worldwide. Cintas Corporation initially focused all its operations on uniform management but in modern times it additionally designs, manufacturers and implements corporate identity uniform programs, mats, bathroom supplies, promo products, fire protection, document management, first aid and safety for close to one million businesses. Cintas operates more than 430 facilities, including eight distribution hubs ...view middle of the document...
That has worked well for us. In my experience, the best individuals that know what information to collect and how to properly analyze it are those who will ultimately act on the intelligence that is created,” said Troy Pfeffer. “And to ensure that the most relevant information is filtered up to the corporate level, sales managers at various levels help to decide what is relevant for distribution.” Global Intelligence.com
Key principles that are central to the success of Cintas intelligence systems are integration, transparency, collaboration, fluidity, and internal funding by all its users.
“All information is transparent and most information is available via self-service. We have a unique way of funding: if you want customized information you’ll need to pay for it. This makes me a sales man, which is quite handy in a business to business company with a focus on sales,” said Pfeffer.
An example of Cintas illustrating these principles, Pfeffer tells of a story where a Cintas employer noticed a product being test marketed by its competition and instead of Cintas respecting this product in its early marketing stages, they snapped a picture with a cell phone and loaded it up on the company’s intelligence portal. They simply stole the idea and were able to enter market with this new highly attractive product within 30 days. This one-man approach is very effective by managing internal intelligence and simple entrepreneurship.
Cintas Corporation intelligence tools are categorized with a two-step approach. This two-step approach is how to attack and how to defend accounts. Some support tools Cintas uses to attack new accounts and defend accounts include:
1. Outsourced sales leads generation intelligence collected ranges from prospects, to vital information about the company’s business plan
2. Request for proposal at Cintas informs the sales team on how to position their products against the competition.
3. Win-Loss analysis at Cintas has a follow-up system once an account is lost. Cintas wants to know why the business was awarded elsewhere.
4. Competitor binders are collected by Cintas through field intelligence. Cintas is able to gauge how a competitor may defend their existing accounts or compete for new accounts. This proprietor information is stored under competitor binders.
5. Field intelligence is gathered in a “locked box” to key customers. This information could include invoices and price list from competition. Cintas retrieves this information and analyzes to better service its customer base.
Key success factors that have made Cintas successful in the past and reasons they believe they will continue to grow are below.
* We are the largest company in our industry.
* We are a market leader with an excellent reputation.
* We have an outstanding management team, most of who have been with the company for many years. We are experienced, knowledgeable and committed.
* We are ownership-driven. Most of...