THE KENYA INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT
WORK BASED ASSIGNMENT
SUBJECT: STRATEGIC HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
TO LECTURER JAMES OKUMU
Discuss the major recruitment and selection challenges facing an organization of your choice and strategies of overcoming the challenges.
According to Edwin Flippo: “Recruitment is the process of searching the candidates for employment and stimulating them to apply for jobs in the organization “.
Recruiting is the discovering of potential applications for actual or anticipated organizational vacancies. In other words, it is a ‘linking activity’ bringing together those with jobs and those seeking jobs.
Selection refers to the ...view middle of the document...
1. It is less costly than external recruiting.
2. Organizations have a better knowledge of internal applicants skills and abilities than that which can be acquired of candidates in an external recruiting effort.
3. An organization policy of promotion from within can enhance organizational commitment and job satisfaction, leading to lower employee turnover and productivity .
4. Best used for succession planning.
1. Politics have a greater impact on internal recruitment. Personal biased decisions towards specific candidates not necessarily based on performance or job requirements.
2. Employees who apply for jobs and do not get them may become discontented,: telling unsuccessful applicants why they were rejected and what remedial action might take to be more successful in future is thus crucial
3. Although many times managers post job opening and interviews to all candidates, the manager often knows ahead of time exactly whom he or she wants to hire . Requiring the person to interview a stream of unsuspecting candidates can be a waste of time for all concerned
External sources provide the requisite type of HR for an organization, having skill, training and education up to the required standard
Since persons are recruited from a large market, the best selection can be made without any distinctions of caste, sex or colour. In the long run, this source proves economical because potential employee does not need extra training for their jobs.
1. Wide choice. It enables a wide choice of personnel from a large number of applicants. This allows for the selection of the best candidates.
2. Fresh air and outlook. The enterprise greatly benefits from freshness of outlook of persons chosen from external sources
1. Heart-burning among existing employees.
4. Danger of maladjustment.
Methods of recruitment and selection
Recruitment methods refer to the means by which the organization reaches to the potential job seeker. These include;
* Direct method
* Indirect method
* Third party method
In this method, the representatives of the organization are sent to the potential candidates in the educational and training institutes. They establish contacts with the candidates seeking jobs. In other cases the employer or firm establishes a relationship with the professors and solicits information about the students with excellent academic records.
* It enables the organization attract a large number of candidates
* It is a cost efficient method
* It provides the organization the opportunity to pick the best candidates for different job profiles
* The recruiter is not professionally trained in interviewing
* The recruiter does not have the authority to make decision with regard to hiring
* The recruiter does not get involved in the development of the new employee....