* It’s a planetarium software, it simulates the night sky showing the position of the Moon, planets and distant objects from any location and time.
* It is available to everyone and easy to use
* It can be downloaded on your pc, Mac or android
HOW TO USE IT
* There’s a left and bottom panel
* To change location use left panel and click on the location window. Choose any location from the list or set coordinates if known. It can be set as default.
* Move cursor 360° to show night sky at that time.
* Click on an object and zoom in and out, using page up and down or forward and back slash. Show how to deselect the object.
WHY DOES THE SKY ROTATE?
* ...view middle of the document...
* First man to discover its moons was Galileo with an early version of a telescope, that’s why they are also called the Galilean moons.
* At that time (17th century), it was still believed that everything revolved around the Earth, but Galileo showed that the 4 moons were orbiting Jupiter and that was a first hint that the geocentric theory was incorrect.
* Show that Jupiter resides in the Gemini constellation and not far from the red giant Betelgeuse, in Orion, which appears as a twinkly orange star.
* Another planet in the sky at this time is Uranus, but it is not visible with the naked eye.
* If you want to look for a specific planet, for example Mars, I can go on the search bar and enter the name of the object. As it is not visible at this time, this is because currently it orbits near the Sun so it is mostly in the sky during the day. The perfect time to watch a planet is when it is in opposition, meaning that the planet is opposite the Sun and between lies the Earth. Go on 17th January and show that Mars will be visible.
* Turn off the ground to show Mars position and show Venus and Mercury near the Sun.
* Venus is the brightest planet but this is only visible in the evening and in the morning because it orbits close to the Sun. Mercury is more difficult to spot because it is smaller and orbits even closer to the Sun so the planet sets before the sky gets dark enough to see it.
* Show planets orbits around the Sun. Click on View, Sky and Planets orbits.
* I could also search for Saturn and change months to see when it is the best time to view. June been the best month. At this time, Saturn sets before night time.
* As shown...