Q1. Identify and explain as many tools/metrics as possible that Steelcase uses to measure, control and improve operational performance.
The various tools/metrics used by Steelcase are
1. Safety: The Company majorly focused on reducing the number of injuries to the employees, by measuring the number of injured employees per month and according to it the safety standards were improved.
2. Quality: The Company aimed at getting Defective Part Per Million (DPPM) to 4 sigma and SPPM to 5 Sigma.
3. Speed: By measuring the number of parts produced in different operations to actual time estimated to complete each part.
4. Cost: The total Man-hours utilized ...view middle of the document...
2. Competition: As there was an increase in number of companies in the same field and global market entering into US in the same products and with better materials. There was a drastic down fall of demand in production from some billion units to 40 million units supplied all over world. In order to catch up pace with other companies there was an immediate improvement in strategic plans. Major competitor was Haworth Inc.
3. Design: As there were gradual changes in design of how office furniture looked once and to present demands in design.
4. Man Power: Increase in the labour cost to the demand, they had to adopt new strategies in order to utilize man power and meeting to the costumers demand.
5. Inventory Control: In early days of Steelcase industry they were using large inventories of raw materials, but presently they have reduced the size drastically by implementing SAP tool to communicate actual demand for production between the supplier and Steelcase and according to it the supplier made the supply.
Q3. What tools/strategies have they employed to drive improvement?
The different tools/strategies employed to drive improvements
1. Lean Manufacturing: The entry of global market into US, there was huge demand for...