The word “spiritual” occurs 30 times in the NIV Bible, all in the New Testament, and all of those in the Book of Romans or later.
•• Another way of looking at that is that every bible instance (in the NIV translation) of the word “spiritual” occurs after the NEW BIRTH and PENTECOST!
• In other words, genuine Christian spirituality in the bible is a distinctly post-Pentecostal phenomenon.
• Today we will determine a definition of spirituality — not a narrow formula, but a broad New Testament view of what it means to be spiritual.
• Without a biblical understanding of true spirituality, we will frustrate our proper pursuit of spiritual growth and spiritual wellness.
Romans 1:11 I long to ...view middle of the document...
Indeed, you are still not ready.
•• To be spiritual is to be the opposite of being WORLDLY ... CARNAL (KJV).
• My pastor once preached an excellent sermon entitled “How to Be Carnal: Just Don’t Be Spiritual”
• We all have two choices: Walk in the Spirit, or walk in the flesh. We must choose either to be carnal or to be spiritual. Spiritual growth and spiritual wellness come to the "SPIRITual" man or woman.
Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God — this is your SPIRITUAL act of worship.  DO NOT CONFORM any longer to the pattern of THIS WORLD...
•• Three characteristics of the spiritual man or woman:
(1) Lives life as a living sacrifice, not self-centeredly
(2) Lives a holy life
(3) Looks to live in such a way as to please God
•• To be deemed “spiritual” by God, “do NOT CONFORM ... to the pattern of this WORLD.”
• As in the previous verse, the opposite extremes are to be “spiritual” or to be “worldly...carnal.” Biblical spirituality is the exact opposite of worldly carnality.
Romans 12:11 Never be lacking in ZEAL, but keep your spiritual FERVOR, serving the Lord.
•• The spiritual person is NOT LAZY, doesn’t take the things of God for granted.
• Rather, he/she is zealous and fervent for the Lord. Spiritual growth remains a high priority.
• The spiritual person “keeps his lamp burning.”
1 Corinthians 2:12-14 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may UNDERSTAND what God has freely given us.  This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing SPIRITUAL TRUTHS in SPIRITUAL WORDS.  The man without the Spirit does not...