Food for Health
Use Biology for You to get answers to the following questions: -
Your answers should be brief but containing all the important detail.
1. Why do we need food? (top of page 44)
Example answer: - Food contains energy to make all our muscle and organs work. Food is needed to make new cells to replace damaged and old cells. Chemicals in food are ...view middle of the document...
What are they? (bottom of page 44)
3. Why is protein important? (top of page 45)
4. What are sugars and which sugar does our body use most? (top of page 46)
5. Why do we need carbohydrates? (top of page 46)
6. What is starch? (middle of page 46)
7. How does our body convert starch into glucose? (middle page 46)
8. What do plants do with glucose? (middle of page 46)
9. What is glycogen and why is it important? (bottom of page 46)
10. Give five important facts about fat (top of page 47)
11. What happens if we eat too much fat? (top of page 47)
12. Why are vitamins and minerals important? (top of page 52)
13. Give four reasons why we need water. (top of page 53)
14. Give four reasons why we need fibre (bottom of page 53)
15. What happens if we eat too much food and why? (middle of page 50)
16. Complete the table below with as many examples of each you can find.
Food group | Examples of foods |