Statement of Problem
* What are the causes of Juvenile Delinquency at Northeastern College?
* Based on the U.S National Library of Medicine (2008); Juvenile Delinquency is the antisocial acts of children or persons under the age which is illegal or lawfully interpreted as constituting delinquency.
* According to UNICEF (2008); In England and Wales approximately 360 of every 100,000 youths 14-16 years old were convicted or cautioned by police for violent crimes, it increased to approximately to 580 per 100,000.In Western Germany approximately 760 per 100,000.Former East Germany were 60 to 80% higher.
* Based on UNICEFâ€™s survey in (2010); Barbados-40% males 19% females, ...view middle of the document...
Reasons for selecting the area of research
Reasons why the topic Juvenile Delinquency was elected are:
* Decline in students academics- This occurs when studentâ€™s grades are dropping. This is because their time is now occupied doing the wrong thing. Their minds may be frustrated, depressed or tired which will cause their grades decline. This is one point we are investigating. This will lead to them becoming Juvenile Delinquents.
* Increasing Crime- This is when they move from petty crimes to serious crimes. This is because they are already doing petty crimes and havenâ€™t been caught yet, so this encouraged them in a bad way causing them to escalate to more serious and dangerous crimes, such as murder, rape or even robbery. This will lead to them being a Juvenile Delinquent.
* Increasing Teenage Pregnancy- Because students are not in school being educated about the causes, preventions and solutions to teenage pregnancy. They may break school and involve themselves in sexual activities which would lead to them becoming pregnant. This will lead to them becoming a Juvenile Delinquent.
Method of Investigation
* A questionnaire was used as the method of investigation.
* Some of the reasons the questionnaire was used are:
* I am able to contact large numbers of people quickly, easily and efficiently using postal questionnaire (since all he/she has to do is identify the group that will be targeted and post them the list of questions.)
* Questionnaires are relatively quick and easy to create code and interpret (especially if closed questions are used.) In addition, the respondent, not the researcher does the time consuming part of completing the questionnaire.
* Because persons would remain anonymous and complete the questionnaire in privacy, they would be truthful in their responses. Therefore, the analysis, interpretation, and conclusion will be accurate. Hence the reason why we chose the questionnaire as our method of research.
Data Collection Instrument
Procedures for Data Collection
* Selection of Topic- With the aid of our teacher and ourselves this topic was chosen.
* How information was collected- The information was collected through secondary data and a questionnaire.
* Developing the questionnaire-* 6 bio-data questions
*Every group member got 10 reasons/causes of ...