BTEC Level 3 in Business – Unit 1 – The Business Environment
Think of a business as a ship on the high seas. The captain and crew of the ship are steering the ship on its journey but the ship is also affected by other influences such as the weather, tides and currents. The captain and crew have no control over these but they must be able to respond effectively to the intervention of events such as a storm in order for the ship to successfully complete its voyage.
Just like a ship has to respond to the influences of its environment (the ocean) a business must also react to a number of factors that will be beyond its control. These can come from hugely varied sources, from the ...view middle of the document...
For each of the two businesses you must describe and explain:
• The type of business it is in terms of which industrial sector it is in and whether it operates on a local, national or international scale.
• What the business does. Meaning does it make a profit, provide a service or have another purpose. In explaining this you must clarify exactly what need the business meets in order to fulfil this purpose.
• Explain details about the ownership of the business and why this type of ownership suits the business being examined.
P2 – Describe the different stakeholders who influence the purpose of two contrasting businesses. [CT]
Explain what is meant by a stakeholder. For each of the businesses you examined draw up a table of stakeholders, using a format similar to this:
|Name of Business |
|Stakeholder |Why concerned about the business? |
| | |
P3 - Describe how two businesses are organised. [IE]
You will be required to find out how each of the two businesses in tasks 1 and 2 are organised in terms of:
• Who is in charge?
• Is there a line of control?
• How are functional areas carried out?
Produce diagrams to show the organisational structure of each organisation.
P4 – Explain how their style of organisation helps them to fulfil their purposes.
For each organisation explain how the organisation structure helps them meet their purposes.
P5 – Describe the influence of two contrasting economic environments on business activities within a selected business organisation.
Using research material from the Internet you should find out how a business of your choice has managed during the last 20 years. This will include the period during which the UK economy grew very rapidly and then sank into recession in the last two years. Think about:
• Factors that can...