1. Changes in the trend of media industry
Media consumption patterns are slowly but steadily changing the digital home, and wireless connectivity enables similar changes outside the home. Disruptive technologies liberalized content release windows, regulatory changes, and a myriad of factors could dramatically change current trend lines of the customers. Before we start, let me first explain about the historical media disruptors. Firstly, the television forces radio out of national spotlight into locally based medium and then came the cable television, which evolves from relaying distant signals to narrow casting medium. Alternative newspapers emerge from counterculture voice to market ...view middle of the document...
Satellite DMB is a charged satellite service that can be watched anywhere through a private portable devices.
3. Four Characteristics and Advantages of satellite DMB
• New Media - Overcame the limitations time and place of existing broadcasters
• Mobility - Can be connected anywhere through portable devices
• Personal - Individual media
• Multimedia - Can freely use the contents through voice, data and video and can be connected freely in cell phones and wireless Internet
4. Stages of the introduction of DMB
- Research of DAB started in Europe during the late 1980s
- EUREKA-147 project started in 1987
- EUREKA-147 adapted as Europe' standard on Feb, 1995
- BBC started the ground wave DAB service on Sep, 1995
- Later Sweden(1995), France(997), Germany(1999) started the DAB service.
5. The current DMB trends of the world
DMB has its roots in DAB. DMB is designed to broadcast television and video to mobile handsets, in parallel with existing DAB services. Both audio and data can be integrated where a DAB infrastructure already exists. A DAB network is already available to 80 percent of Europe and there are more than 800 DAB services reaching 475 million people in 40 countries around the world.
According to the website rndbiz.com, DMB market scale of the world was about $325 million last year, and is forecasted to arrive $770 million in 2006, $1102 million in 2007 and about 3 billion dollars in 2012. Especially, Germany World Cup in 2006 and Beijing Olympic in 2008 that DMB service is enforced regularly may act to good news to DMB industry, and ground wave DMB test service that is enforced for Germany World Cup period will be performed by South Korea. From 2005 to 2012, huge growth of DMB market is expected by yearly rate of 34%.
6. The current DMB trend of the USA
The USA is currently developing audio based DAB service and is forming competition market as primary DMB providers such as world space, XM radio, and Sirius radio are competing in the market.
The XM radio is the biggest satellite DAB provider in the USA, and acquired satellite DAB license by allocating frequency through auction from FCC in 1997. According to the XM Radio website, XM Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: XMSR), the USA's leading satellite radio company with more than 4.4 million subscribers, today announced that it has made a strategic investment of $25 million in the common stock of WorldSpace, Inc., a leading satellite radio provider for Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
In connection with the investment, XM will cooperate with WorldSpace to develop satellite radio products, technology and distribution and supplier...