Associate Program Material
Cell Energy Worksheet
Answer the following questions:
• What is cellular respiration and what are its three stages?
Cellular respiration is the aerobic harvesting of a chemical energy from organic fuel. The three stages are glycolysis, citric acid cycle, and electron transport.
• What is the role of glycolysis? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
The role of glycolysis is splitting sugar into two parts. This allows the cells to make ATP. When the splitting of the two molecules of ATP happen they turn into two molecules of pyruvic acid and the two electrons carrying NADH are produce.
• What is the role of the citric acid cycle? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
The role of the citric acid cycle is to reduce and carry electrons that are high in energy to the next ...view middle of the document...
• Because photosynthesis only occurs in plants, why is it essential to animal life?
Photosynthesis is essential to animal because plants are a form of food, and the byproduct of photosynthesis is oxygen. Animals need to oxygen to live.
• What is the role of the light reactions? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
The role of light reactions are to convert solar energy to the chemical energy of ATP and NADPH developing the oxygen process. This happens along the
Thylakoid membranes within the chloroplasts this is where pigments capture light energy.
• What is the role of the Calvin cycle? Include the reactants and the products. Where does it occur?
The role of the Calvin cycle is to get energy from the ATP electrons from the NADPH from the carbons to produce sugar.
• Explain how photosynthesis and cellular respiration are linked within ecosystems.
The ways photosynthesis and cellular respiration are like within the ecosystem is as follows. Photosynthesis is the process of converting light into oxygen. Every living thing on earth needs oxygen to live. In cell respiration, glucose is used to make energy. Moreover, every living thing needs energy to live. In short, plants need to energy to make oxygen and in order for plants to have energy, they must use cellular respiration.
• Visit the NASA website (http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/) and research global temperature changes. How has global warming affected overall temperatures? What effects do cellular respiration and photosynthesis have on global warming?
The way global warming affected overall temperatures is they are rising and this will cause a increase in extreme weather.
The effects of cellular respiration and photosynthesis have on global warming are as follows. The byproduct of cellular respiration is carbon dioxide. The rising carbon dioxide levels add to the global warming on earth. With less and less plants on earth, they cannot pull the carbon dioxide from atmosphere and replace it with oxygen.