Associate Level Material
Physical Fitness and Nutrition Worksheet
In order to obtain optimal health, it is critical to be physically fit and eat a healthy and balanced diet. Becoming knowledgeable about what it means to be physically fit and learning how to evaluate the nutritional value of what you eat may greatly increase your ability to improve your health and wellness.
In this three-part worksheet, you identify the five components of health related fitness, critique a recipe for nutritional value, and respond to two short answer questions about nutrition. Completing this assignment is a step towards gaining the knowledge needed to better manage your physical fitness and ...view middle of the document...
Part 2: Critique a Meal
For this part of the assignment, you critique the nutritional value of a meal. You will select this meal from the USDA website.
Follow the instructions below:
• Access the USDA Recipe Finder search tool at http://recipefinder.nal.usda.gov/
o (either click on or paste the above link in your internet’s address bar)
• Search for a recipe using one of the available criteria:
o Type in ingredients;
o Type in a recipe name, or;
o Choose options from the available categories
• Select a recipe to critique from the generated results.
Review the nutritional information provided for the recipe you selected or added and answer the questions below.
1. What is the name of the recipe you are evaluating?
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
2. Which essential nutrients—ccarbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals—are included in the recipe?
38g Carbohydrates, 11g Fats, 39g Proteins, Vitamins A & C, Calcium & Iron
3. Which ingredients are providing each nutrient?
Fettuccini Noodles (Carbohydrates), Chicken, Butter, Cheese (Fats), Chicken (Protein), Broccoli, Milk (Vitamins), Milk, cheese (Calcium), Chicken (Iron)
4. Does this recipe include a good balance of essential nutrients? Explain your answer.
I think that this recipe does have a good balance of essential nutrients. The calories are low per serving. There is a high amount of protein. The carbohydrate count is good because the sugar count is low. The fat count is good because the Trans fat count is zero and the saturated fat is at 5g.
5. How could the recipe be altered to include more essential nutrients?
The use of vegetable oil might be better than using butter. The cheese could also be better by using a low or non-fat cheese. Also, the chicken could be skinless. The fettuccini noodles could be a changed to rice noodles or possible just use...