Roscommon Sports Partnership (RSP)
The Local Sports Partnership Initiative was developed by the Irish Sports Council in order to create a national structure to co-ordinate and promote the development of sport and physical activity at local level. The initiative was created following widespread consultation with other agencies and organisations with an interest in the development of sport.
The objectives of the program are to:
1. Enhanced planning of sport at local level.
2. Increased levels of local participation, especially amongst specific target groups such as older people, girls and women, people with disabilities, unemployed people and those who live in identified ...view middle of the document...
Empowerment also occurs at various levels: individual, group, and community. It is important that the individual and community are primarily connected.
* Advocacy: active support of an idea or cause.
* Foundation: Encouraging people, especially young people into the exercise habit and developing basic movement and sports skills (for example, throwing, catching, hand-eye coordination etc.) to provide a foundation for personal development and future participation in the sport of their choice.
* Participation: Opportunities for all members of the community to take part in a sport.
* Performance: Opportunities for those already participating to improve their performance standards, where the desire to improve is the key factor for involvement.
* Sports Development Continuum: A model that shows the different levels of sport development and abilities.
* Sustainability: Sustainability is the capacity to endure. Promoting the empowerment of individuals and communities, helping to support communities to develop their skills.
The Roscommon partnership has set up many programs to assist in many key concepts such as:
* community development
* social inclusion
* coaching and talent development
* PE and school sport
* working and volunteering in sports development
* Elite performance and the Olympic Games, research and policy evaluation.
For all for life:
On the basis of their initial three years of operation and the review process, the sports partnership recognised the need for a Participation Pathway. As people grow and develop they drop in and out of sports due to competing pressures, varying experiences or lack of opportunities. In response to this varied involvement in sports, RSP recognises the value of a Participation Pathway. The role of this Pathway is to highlight and present opportunities for participation in sports at all life stages. This Participation Objective in particular identifies the different life and development stages and the corresponding sports participation opportunities. They believe that everyone deserves and benefits from participation in sports and physical activity. Different stages of life involve different challenges and opportunities; their goal is to ensure an available range of participation opportunities for all life’s stages.
Life stages: Roscommon Sports Partnership does many tasks, aims and programmes specifically designed to keep all ages involved.
* Continue to deliver programmes suitable for the introduction of preschool children to sports and physical activity.
* Support the ongoing delivery of the Buntús program amongst National schools.
* Support Sports Governing Bodies in their roll out of sports specific Buntús programs amongst National Schools.
* Encourage the effective linking of school students with sports clubs.
* Encourage and develop participation in individual and...