Research Paper Requirements and General Guidelines
Dr. B. Bryant
Office—Bldg. 1, room 119 E/ office 19
Research Paper due—May 2nd (Fri) 3:00 pm in my office
It must contain copies of your research.
1. Your final paper needs to be 5-8 pages (not including “Works Consulted page”) in MLA format. NO PAPER UNDER 5 PAGES WILL BE ACCEPTED!!!
2. In your research folder—a folder that does not allow your research materials to fall out—you must have the following items:
• Research Paper—11/25
• Rough Draft
• Research proposal/outline due 4/24 for class time
• COPIES OF YOUR RESEARCH!
• Your paper must be sent to on safe assignment
PLEASE NOTE: NO PAPER WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT COPIES OF YOUR RESEACH! The paper will receive an F.
3. Research Materials—Included on your “Works Consulted” page, you must have at least 5 professional journal ...view middle of the document...
6. Quotes—the paper must have at least 4 quotes or paraphrases from your research from different sources. You need to demonstrate to your reader that you have done the research on this subject. Each quote must be cited in MLA and the quote needs to be highlighted in your research materials.
7. You can also do original research, such as interviews, surveys, and observations
8. In the introduction, your paper must establish what has been written on your subject, meaning at least 1-2 quotes from outside resources. Your thesis needs to establish your position on the subject in relation to the research. Just make sure the thesis is not a statement of topic, but a position that can be proven.
9. Rough draft must be 3-4 typed pages and I will be working with everyone in class. Bring your rough draft and all your research to class. I must see your rough draft and discuss it with you.
10. Some rough draft conferences will take place in my office; others in the computer lab; Understand missing your private time with me in conference does affect the outcome of your paper. Students who miss their conference do poorly on the assignment.
Research Proposal: A Research Proposal is designed to narrow down your topic with the research you have obtained so far. It should contain a working thesis to drive your paper; this working thesis will be refined in the writing process. It should contain your approach to the subject and potential sources that you will use. One paragraph posted on Discussion Board.
Grading: The Research Paper counts as two paper grades
based on the following:
Part 1: The project itself—This grade is based on classroom attendance, Research Proposal, meeting deadlines, attending conference appointments with me, making copies of your research, the quality of your research, having all the required source material, highlighting quotes and paraphrases in your research material and the quality of the rough draft.
Part 2: The paper—content, analysis and grammar, Remember you must have a variety of research sources in your paper.
Part 3: MLA—the entire paper must be in correct MLA format
Your paper will be an average of these 3 parts.