Research Methodology – Open Doors – Extending Hospitality to Travellers with Disability
1. How did ODO operationalise the definition of an adult with a disability? What arguments could you make that the definition was too inclusive or too narrow?
Disability was defined by ODO as “having blindness, deafness or a condition that substantially limits one or more basic physical activities such as walking, climbing stairs, reaching, lifting or carrying”.
Respondents were screened based on these criteria using a variation of the 2000 Census question. Fifteen percent of the general adult population (or more than 31 million adults aged 18 and older) defines themselves as having one or ...view middle of the document...
What is a hybrid (dual-modality) methodology? What are the pros and cons of the hybrid methodology used in this study?
The dual modality methodology utilizes two types of venue or means or tools to achieve results. In this study of ODO in analyzing the needs of persons with disability in their tour, travel and leisure, studying the respondent participants both via the internet and via the telephone is a comprehensive process, “It was important to use both to achieve a representative sample ‘shares Laura Light. Harris Interactive addresses the dual methodologies by weighting the data using a proprietary weighting process.
4. Francie Turk had no prior experience with researching Americans with disabilities.
Assume you have similar background; what would you have done in the exploratory phase of this project to become familiar with the frustrations and hurdles that adult with disabilities face when travelling? Compare your research process with what ODO did. What could ODO have gained from incorporating your methods?
The following measures could have been done in the research
* Estimate the current and potential economic impact of the disability community
* Conduct Post Census Disability Surveys
* Quantify the top services/products that would encourage adults with disabilities to fly and stay in hotels more often;”
* Estimate Cost of Disability research.
5. Brainstorm lists of potential hotel, restaurant, and rental car accommodations to be evaluated for adults with disabilities and create your own paired-comparison question.
During a phone interview, how quickly could you cover this question? What are the advantages and disadvantages to using this measurement scale in the phone survey in comparison to...