Anthony Robert "Tony" Kushner (born 16 July 1956) is an American playwright and screenwriter
Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1993 for Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes
Angels in America
New York City , mid-1980s,
Closeted Homosexual with druggy Wife, Gay with Aids, Closeted gay lawyer with AIDS who tries to hide it to save reputation
Kushner , New York, Jewish, Columbia University, NYU
Young life- Involved in Co-directing many other plays
Kushner's plays and screenplays are often a departure from typical Realism, experimenting with conventional storytelling by using shorter episodes. For example, the Angels in America plays together contain almost 50 scenes.
Angels in America at 20 years
Plunge into the darkness, and you flail around and you try and understand things, and recuperate some meaning from the ...view middle of the document...
○ An absence of linking elements in a group of words that are listed together.
○ A stylistic scheme in which conjunctions are deliberately omitted from a series of related clauses.
○ A mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word in the original text
○ An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought, or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence
○ The state or condition of being parallel; agreement in direction, tendency, or character
○ Agreement or similarity; resemblance; correspondence; analogy; likeness
○ An inversion of the relationship between the elements of phrases.
• Poly Syndeton
○ The act or an instance of repeating or being repeated.
○ The act of performing a single, controlled exercise motion; also called a rep. A group of repetitions is a set.
○ The rhetorical repetition of the last word or words of one phrase or sentence at the beginning of the next. The sentence "He was tormented by fears - fears that were soon to be realized" uses anadiplosis
○ The repetition of a phrase at the beginning of phrases, sentences, or verses, used for emphasis
○ An expression that refers to another expression, especially a preceding one. An example is a pronoun that refers to its antecedent
○ The repetition of the same word or words at the end of successive phrases, clauses or sentences.
○ In rhetoric, the technique of reversal, where accentuated by reversal of words, actions or grammatical structure.