BOOK READING HABITS OF PRIVATE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOLS AS OPPOSED TO PUBLIC SENIOR HIGH SCHOOLS
RHODA ANSU YEBOAH
“Reading habits” refers to the behaviour which expresses the liking for reading of individual types and tastes of reading (Sangkaeo 1999). More or less, it refers to the different tastes that individuals have in terms of reading. Book reading is an essential part of any developing nation. Iheanacho (2007) opined that a healthy reading culture has a pivotal role to play in the social, economic and technological development of any country. All the developed nations that exist in our world ...view middle of the document...
It has also been in our experience that students of privately owned Senior High Schools are sometimes widely read, and in some cases more so than their counterparts in the public institutions. We intend to discover the reason for this and also if this still true in light of recent efforts made to remedy the situation of poor reading culture in our senior high schools.
1. To Determine The Levels Of Readership In Both Private And Public Senior High Schools
With this objective we intend to determine the level of readership of the students. Essentially, we intend to determine the level of readership based on several factors like the kinds of books the students read, how often they read, whether or not there are available materials for reading and more essentially to determine if the students of private schools read more than the students of public schools in order to test the suppositions raised earlier in the problem statement.
2. Determine The Availability Of Reading Materials To The High Schools
The availability of reading materials is directly related to the reading habits of the students. The material available to the students determines what they read and therefore determines the level of readership they possess.
3. Determine, If Any, The Causes Of Low Level Of Readership Amidst Efforts To Remedy The Situation
* What sort of reading materials is available to the students?
* What kind of books do the students read?
* Do they have access to a library?
* How often do they read?
* In the case of low level of readership, is there any particular reason why this is so?
SCOPE OF STUDY
The research intends to cover the following areas in order to ascertain relevant information on the reading habits of students
* Availability of Books
The availability of books is directly related to the reading habits of students. The kind of materials available to them will determine what they read and of they will read or not. If it is only textbook material available to them then that is what they will read.
* Frequency of Reading
It is important to find out how often the students are reading. The frequency at which they read some particular books will determine their reading habits
* Category of Books Students Read
The sort of books they read will be also important in determining their reading habits be they textbooks, novels and others. Knowing this is vital to the research
* Causes of Low Reading
In this case it might be necessary to find out the causes, if any, of low level of readership so that effective solutions can be thought out and applied if possible
The information will be ascertained from ten Senior High Schools in the Accra and Kumasi metropolis
* The Population of the Study is Senior High Schools- Public and Private
* The Sample space- 500 students in selected public and private Senior High Schools (5 private schools and 5 public schools).