Over the last thirty years there has been a considerable change in the profile of morbidity and mortality of the Brazilian population (Foletto, 2009). Nowadays, apart from infectious and parasitic causes, the epidemiological profile of Brazil has a high prevalence of diseases and deaths due to chronic illnesses. The economic burden of these diseases produces high costs for patients and their families, to society and especially to the health systems and social welfare due to early mortality and disability caused by this type of clinical conditions. Currently, cardiovascular diseases are the major cause of deaths. Actually Diabetes Mellitus (DM) and Hypertension (HTN) are major predictors of ...view middle of the document...
VI Brazilian Hypertension Guidelines, 2010).
Actually DM is configured as a global epidemic and a major challenge to health systems worldwide. The type 2 diabetes Corresponds to Approximately 90% of cases of diabetes by composing the remaining 10% of type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes (Brazilian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2013). Type 2 diabetes is a metabolic and endocrine disease in which there is an increase in the periphery resistance to insulin action and / or relative insufficiency of insulin production associated with high levels of blood glucose (Brazilian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2006). The diagnosis of diabetes is made by measuring blood levels of fasting glucose, glycated hemoglobin or the oral glucose tolerance test (Ministry of Health of Brazil, 2006). The treatment is medical, behavioral and / or surgical, depending on the etiology of the disease, which most often is multifactorial (Lyra et al., 2006).
It is relevant to note that there are already sufficient information to prevent and / or delay the onset and complications of these conditions, this information and scientific evidence should be available to people and communities so that the population can benefit from this data. There are estimated to be about 7,800,000 Brazilian with Type 2 DM and 33 million Brazilian with HTN who are already diagnosed (DataSus, 2011).
In Brazil, the majority of cases for both diseases are in the areas of poverty, emphasizing the influence of family income as an important risk factor for the development of the two morbidities. Apart from this, it is important to highlight the bias that exists due to the large number of patients who do not have the diagnosis, underestimating the statistics.
To ensure a better quality of life for patients with HTN and type 2 DM the Ministry of Health of Brazil developed a system of registration and monitoring of patients with HTN and / or type 2 DM called HiperDia. The main objectives of this program is to facilitate the monitoring of patients registered in the national plan of reorganization attention to HTN and type 2 DM, generate information for the acquisition, release and distribution of medicaments systematically and ensure good conditions for the treatment of patients registered and monitored (DataSUS, 2011).
In regards to patient age, the median age of patients with HTN at diagnosis is forty-six years (Brazilian Society of Hypertension, 2010). The mean age of patients with type 2 DM at diagnosis is forty-nine years (Brazilian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2013), thus concluding that the age group most commonly benefited by the program consists of middle-aged and elderly, getting the population of children and adolescents at risk of developing these two pathologies. Another problem observed in HiperDia program is that it goals are launched for secondary prevention, whereas primary prevention are ignored.
The program we developed...