The Night Safari was introduced to Singapore in 1994 by the Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS). First of its kind, the night safari is home to over 1050 animals of 120 nocturnal species. Night Safari focuses on areas such as service quality, experiential dining and Wildlife Conservation. Its world class service quality, award winning Gourmet Safari Express, and constant efforts in promoting biodiversity in the conservation sector has effectively brought in visitors from all over the world (Night Safari, 2007).
2. Realizing Vision and Goal
To be able to realize Night Safari’s vision and current goal, accessing the organisation itself is vital.
2.1 SWOT Analysis
(Singapore Tourism Board, 2006)
(Wildlife Reserves Singapore, 2007-2008 pp. 40-46)
(Singapore Tourism Board, n.d)
3.1 Core Values
Respect and Care for Wildlife
We love our flora and fauna, and treat our animals in a dignified manner.
To inspire an appreciation of nature through exciting and meaningful wildlife experiences.
To be the foremost wildlife institution in the world.
‘People, Animals and Community – One is no greater than the other’
We recognise People, Animal and Community as ONE entity in our efforts of Conservation, Education and Recreation.
Night Safari is also a strong supporter of wildlife conservation and has done partnerships worldwide, they also educate the public on wildlife conservation in terms of recreation and has commitment to excellence and makes use of creative and innovative thinking to add value to their guest’s wildlife experience. (Singapore, W. R, 2005-2006, pp. 3).
3.5 Night Safari’s Current Goal
Strive to bring in more educational and entertaining programmes, and also to heighten the awareness and importance of conservation actions. (Night Safari, 2011, pp. 12).
As such, Promotions and yearly events such as the following are also part of promoting the park and attracting the public to learn more about wildlife conservation:
• Park Hopper Special whereby customers are given discounted prices on their tickets if they visit all three parks (Singapore Zoo, Night Safari and Jurong Birdpark). Like a bulk offer.
• Anniversary Promotions which usually occurs during May where Night Safari grows a year older since its opening and various discounts are available throughout the park at only this time of the month when the park is celebrating its birthday. (Night Safari, 2007).
• Membership benefits such as free entry and tram rides at all parks under WRS, Wildlife Wonders Magazine, 10% discount at selected F&B/ retail outlets, etc are given to people who sign up as a member. Different types of memberships are offered depending on which parks the visitors are more interested in. This membership promotion helps bring in local visitors and also visitors from neighbouring countries such as Malaysia and Indonesia. It also helps retain these customers for as long as the membership lasts as the membership is paid for when it was issued. (Night Safari, 2007).
• Participating in the Great Singapore Sale where coupons are downloadable off Night Safari’s website to enjoy discounts at Night Safari. ( Night Safari. 2009, 5 15).
Advertising was also done across Singapore in October 2006 whereby bus shelters had a series of 6-sheet and 2D posters ads, featuring endangered Asian species like the Asian elephant, Indian rhino and Malayan tiger. The posters initiated the ‘Extinction is Forever. Conserve’ message which was part of Night Safari’s effort towards educating the public about wildlife conservation.