* PHYSICS – Magnetism
* What is a magnetic domain?
-Large group (billions) of electrons that are spinning the same direction, aren’t paired up. Super imposed upon one another, forms a domain.
* Permanent Magnet- one that does not need an electric current running through it, can act on its own.
* On a micro level, what is the difference between a non-magnetized nail and a magnetized nail?
-same magnetic field alignment, caused by multiple charges that are moving the same way
* Why drop the magnet?
Demagnetizes it, breaks up the clusters of domains.
* Why does a piece of iron in a current-carrying loop increase the magnetic field strength?
induced ...view middle of the document...
. ect) the voltage goes up proportionally
* How does the frequency of induced voltage related to how frequently a magnet is plunged in and out of a loop of wire?
* They are proportional (North America= 110 or 120?)
* What is the basic similarity between a generator and an electric motor?
* Electrical energy Mechanical other does the opposite
* Motor effect
* When currents are reversed (wire goes above and below a magnet)
* Where in the rotation cycle of a simple generator is the induced voltage the maxiumum?
* When it is parallel
* Why is the current AC out of the motor?
* Because the direction is being changed back and forth
* Who discovered electromagnetism induction, and who put it to practical use?
* Turboelectric Generators
* What commonly supplies the energy input to a turbine?
* Coal heated water to steam Steam turns turbines
* Also water