June 30, 2008
Overweight & Obesity
I. Overweight and obesity may soon cause as much preventable disease and death as cigarette smoking.
II. Right now, about 300,000 U.S. deaths per year are because of obesity and overweight. Cigarette smoking is compared at more than 400,000 deaths per year.
III. The total direct and indirect costs because of overweight and obesity were $117 billion in the year 2000.
I. Overweight and obesity in the United States is a major public health problem. In 20 years, obesity has doubled in adults and overweight has tripled in children and adolescents. Right now, about 119 million, or ...view middle of the document...
We can do this in the following ways:
1. Change people’s perception: The primary concern of overweight and obesity should be one of health and not appearance.
1. Healthy eating and calorie reduction: To lose weight, reduce caloric intake by 150 calories a day (one 12 oz. soda) along with moderate activity. These can double your weight loss (10 lbs. in 6 months).
2. Physical activity and the benefits:
• weight loss
• maintaining weight loss
• prevention of weight gain
• helps prevent heart disease
• helps control cholesterol levels and diabetes
• slows bone loss
• lowers risk of certain cancers
• helps reduce anxiety and depression
C. Research and evaluation
1. Our nation needs to invest in research to understand the causes, prevention, and treatment of overweight and obesity.
I. Good news: Overweight and obesity can be reversed
A. It’s possible for you and your family members to live a healthy, productive life.
B. Exercise and healthy eating can help prevent diseases and eliminate health issues.