OM Ed. 11: Quiz Questions Ch. 10
Chapter 10 Job Design and Work Measurement
1. The objective of a human resource strategy is to manage labor and design jobs so people are effectively and efficiently utilized. T or F?
2. Technology, location, and layout decisions are all possible constraints on human resource strategy. T or F?
3. Which of the following best describes mutual commitment in an organization?
A) an instance in which management is committed to the employees and the employees are committed to management
B) both management and the employees are committed to the same objective
C) both management and the employees are committed, but to ...view middle of the document...
Four of the components of job design are:
A) employment stability, work schedules, work sampling, and motivation & incentive systems.
B) job specialization, job expansion, psychological components, and self-directed teams.
C) labor specialization and enrichment, motivation and incentive systems, employment stability, and work sampling.
D) ergonomics and work methods, method time measurement, work schedules, and incentive systems.
E) labor specialization, time studies, work sampling, and pre-determined time standards.
9. What is the behavioral approach to job design that involves giving the worker more tasks requiring similar skills?
A) job enlargement
B) job enrichment
C) job enhancement
D) job rotation
E) job involvement
10. Which of the following terms implies an increase in responsibility and control in the vertical direction?
A) job rotation
B) job enrichment
C) job re-design
D) job enlargement
E) job satisfaction
11. Which of the following statements describes job rotation?
A) The job contains a larger number of similar tasks.
B) The job includes some planning and control necessary for job accomplishment.
C) The operator works on different shifts on a regular basis.
D) The operator's schedule is flexible.
E) The operator is allowed to move, for example, from one type of CNC machine to another.
12. The difference between job enrichment and job enlargement is that:
A) enlarged jobs involve vertical expansion, while enriched jobs involve horizontal expansion.
B) enriched jobs enable an employee to do a number of boring jobs instead of just...