Case Study: Objectives and Discussion Questions
Week 5 Case 7: Coach Inc. in 2012
Drill students in the use of the analytical tools in Chapters 3 and 4.
Provide sufficient information for students to conduct an industry analysis.
Use the tools of company situation analysis.
1. What are the defining characteristics of the luxury goods industry? What is the industry like?
2. What is competition like in the luxury goods industry? What competitive forces seem to have the greatest effect on industry attractiveness? What are the competitive weapons that rivals are using to try to outmaneuver one another in the marketplace? Is the pace ...view middle of the document...
Evaluate business model and competitive strategy along with specific elements of the strategy.
Use the financial ratios in doing financial analysis of the company.
1. Discuss competition in the search industry. Which of the five competitive forces seem strongest? The weakest? What is your assessment of overall industry attractiveness?
2. How is the search industry changing? What forces seem most likely to bring about major change to the industry within the next three to five years?
3. What are the key factors that define success in the industry? What are the key resources and capabilities required of successful search engine companies? How do these compare to the key success factors of the smart phone industry?
4. Describe Google’s customer value proposition and profit formula linked to its business model. What strategies has Google relied upon to build competitive advantage in the industry?
5. Have Google’s business model and strategy proven to be successful? Should investors be impressed with the company’s financial performance? How does the company’s financial performance compare to that of Microsoft, Apple, and Yahoo? Please conduct a financial analysis to support your position—you may wish to use the financial ratios presented in Table 4.1 of the text as a guide in doing your financial analysis of the company.
6. What are the company’s key resources and competitive capabilities? What competitive liabilities and resource weaknesses does it have? What opportunities exist? What threats to its continued success are present?
7. What recommendations would you make to Google’s top-management team to sustain its competitive advantage in the search industry? How should it best capitalize on its strategic initiatives in smart phones and other ventures?
Week 10 Case 14: Apple, Inc. in 2012
Let students be familiar with diversification strategies.
Perform a thorough financial analysis of a company and understand the contribution of different product lines to a company’s success.
Build students’ presentation skill.
1. What are the chief elements of Apple’s overall competitive strategy? How well do the pieces fit together? Is the strategy evolving?
2. What are the key elements of Apple’s strategy in computers, personal media players, tablet computers, and smart phones? Have its strategies in its core businesses yielded success? Explain.
3. What does a competitive strength assessment reveal about Apple’s computer business, as compared to the leaders in the computer industry? Use the methodology in Table 4.4 to support your answer. Does it appear that the company’s competitive positions in personal media players, tablet computers, and smart phones are stronger or weaker than its position in computers?
4. Does it make good strategic sense for Apple to be a competitor in the computer, personal media player, smart phone, and tablet computer industries?...