Incredible results; parents now wanted kids of age 5 to be introduced to writing and reading.
*Believes it is best to write 1st then learn to read.
Schools started to spread and Montessori materials were widespread
-held training classes for teachers
-Wrote 1st book: The Montessori Method
-new school opened at a convert for orphaned children
-1st introduced to America in literature in 1909
-1913 Maria came to US; 1st Montessori school in US was in Tarrytown, NY
-Montessori society formed.
Magazine, newspaper, and general media were popular
-Alexander Graham Bell’s wife became a big follower
-Her book was 2nd place in 1912 and was on the best seller’s list ...view middle of the document...
* Montessori lived in Holland for the last 15 years of her life
* 1916 Maris went to NY- no hype Mario got married
* 1919 she goes to London
* Her training in London included scrapbook, 50 hours of lecture, 50 hours of teaching, and oral and written exams.
* Visit to Amsterdam-same results
* Mario now came with family to Barcelona
* The method was still not clearly outlined, and Maria still felt only a handful understood it
* 2 schools closed because their teachers were not certified and they wouldn’t change their ways.
* Holland was Maria’s biggest success
* Maria continued to give courses in England
* Dalton plan catching on
* Secondary schools starting to evolve
* 1935 AMI formed in Berlin Maria spoke in French, Italian and Spanish
* Maria very fearful of being exploited
* Maria slowly taking over
* Maria only accepts those people who accept her work as law
* Movement still huge in Vienna
* Dutch had the best Montessori schools in the world
* Montessori losing power/outdated
* Closed Italy schools in 1934
* Montessori now wrote on religious education
* Government closed model school in Spain
* Secret Child was published with heavy critics
* Ada Person opened her home to the Montessori’s (Mario separated from his wife)
* WWII strikes
* 69 years old- off to India
* Successful in India
* In 1940 begins working observing infants
* Traveled a lot
* Age 78 returns to India
* Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
* 1950 was her 80th birthday
* Liked to talk about mysterious inner power of the child
* “Am I no longer of any use to them?”
* Buried in Holland
* US had forgotten her, but would rediscover her in the next decade
This book taught me more about Maria Montessori; she was so strong and brilliant. I admire her strength and drive. It is unfortunate that she felt like she needed to protect her method so much. I understand that she wanted it to stay pure and intact. However, she seemed to insult people who admired her and remove the method from great classrooms.
The Absorbent Mind
* Education key to peaceful world
* Children are makers of men
* Infancy is the richest time of life
* Infant learns to speak and “absorbs” the world around him
* University life is separate from society-students are not prepared for life
* We need to educate the mothers of infants; Mothers and fathers need to be educated if they are not prepared the state should take over.
* Must keep violence away from child- removing all obstacles.
* Stages correspond to physical changes
* Birth - 6 (0-3) can’t interfere; (3-6) limited influence
* 6 – 12 calm/happy growth
* 12 – 18 (12 – 15) maturity; (15- 18) rebellion
* Experience makes a man!
* Babies- unconscious mind is at work
* Sees his...