Mobile Computing in the Health Industry
CIS500 – Strayer University
Professor Eve Yeates
August 19, 2012
Over the years, the growth of the information technology industry has pioneered new developments in the field of mobile computing technology. Mobile computing devices has brought about change in several organizations around the world including the banking and financial industries. One of the industries that mobile computing has had the biggest impact is the healthcare industry. Health care providers and clinicians alike are constantly finding new and inventive ways to take advantage of the mobile computing technology to increase revenues, and to ...view middle of the document...
2. Patients have access to medical records, history, and information utilizing mobile apps.
3. Doctors and clinicians have access to patient data while on the go.
4. Eliminates the use of multiple devices to access patient medical records.
5. Applications in general are simple and require no or little technical knowledge.
6. Application development for mobile solutions can be realized within modest budgets.
1. Technical emphasis can be a stress factor for patients as well as medical staff.
2. The input of data needs to be secured and stored.
3. The infrastructure may not be able to offer the same standards as with wired technologies.
4. The radiation issue still unclear and needs to be defined and clarified.
5. The industry overall must agree to a certain industry standard.
The biggest issue regarding mobile computing technology is data security. There has however, been tremendous strides in the technologies formulated to secure patient data and to prevent eavesdropping, sniffing, active interception, or man-in-the-middle attacks. There have been many flaws found in older encryption protocols used to protect wireless networks. Improper cryptographic methods has left Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) vulnerable to attack, especially so in a healthcare environment where we are dealing with Protected Health Information (PHI). Since then, cryptographic methods have improved. Now we have WPA2 which provides a more sophisticated method of encryption by the use of Advanced Encryption Standards (AES) based on the Rijndael algorithm a symmetric block cipher that can process data blocks of 128bits using cipher keys with lengths of 128bits, 192bits, and 256bits. This is the highest form of encryption for wireless technology to date and there is no such method of hacking or cracking AES at this time. Another form of protection to wireless networks and the mobile computing industry is the introduction of the 802.1x standard, which was developed as a means to face the challenges regarding wireless networks and wired networks from such vulnerabilities and threats. Port based authentication eliminated the threat of user intervention by unauthorized means of gaining access to an organizations network by providing a mechanism of authenticating the user at the point of connection (the port). Therefore, if an unauthorized person tried to gain access into an organizations network, he/she would have to be authenticated at the port level prior to gaining access to resources on the network or from the network servers. Another method of providing protection to an...