P5 P6 M2
P5- explain the legal and ethical issues in relation to the use
Of business information
Within Strode College, they recognise how important it is to have efficient communications between all the colleagues who work within the college. Electronic mail, also know as Emails is one of the most popular methods of communication, it’s quick, easy, and can be done at anytime. It also means you don’t have to use any paper, which is always a plus. The staff within Strode College have a duty to make sure that all of the email services are only used in a sensible and appropriate way. In addition to this, there are lots of new opportunities that now ...view middle of the document...
Your line manager would also be given authority by a member of the executive management team to have the ability to examine emails at any time they feel that they need to. An example of the legal policy when it comes to the Email services within Strode College would be the data protection act, where the College make sure that all of the members of staff and students information stays safe and is not able to get out to the public. This also includes the documents that are saved on students and members of staff’s computers, such as files and word documents, and any other assignments that have been completed by the students. Personal emails would also come under this.
The Data Protection Act was passed through parliament so that they could control the way that their information is handles, also it additionally gives people legal rights when it comes to who has information stores against them. Many different European Union countries will have had to have passed similar laws due to the fact the information of different people would have been held in more than one or two countries, Before Strode College can collect any kind of data, whether it be from their students, staff members, etc. They must gain consent from them and also by following these eight principles of the act properly…
- The information must be processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met –
- This basically means that Strode College has to have a particular and legitimate reason for needing to have any individual’s personal data, an example of this would be enrolling students or hiring new staff members, also they must firstly be eligble to collect the actual data in the first place, they cannot use the data unlawfully or irresponsibly, as this would be breaching this type of act.
- The information must be obtained only for specified and lawful purposes and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with those purposes –
- This means that the college must follow this principle by having a clear idea of what they want to achieve by keeping an individual/individuals data, additionally to this, the college can only use the data for the purposes that they have said they would use them for, and only that.
- The information must be adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes –
- This means that Strode college can only withold data if it is relevant to what they actually need, the college cannot withold anymore information than what they have said they would use it for, for example; only for academic, publicity, health and safety purposes, etc.
- The information must be accurate and kept up to date –This means that the information concerning the individual has to be kept updated for reasons such as if their address or phone number changes in case of an emergency, and if parents need to be called or contacted. Also, if someone developed any kind of illness, then their medical...