Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper that addresses the following:
Based on your reading, who do you see as having a successful leadership style, and why do you consider him or her a successful leader? Provide an example of a historical figure or someone you know. Review the results of your Leadership and Team Self-Management Assessment. How does your leadership style compare to the successful leader you identified? What traits does the successful leader have that you think you need to develop? What strengths do you have from which your example leader could benefit?
Topic: Leadership style
Leadership refers to the individual who has an ability ...view middle of the document...
* Bureaucratic leadership: this type of leaders work exactly according to the rules of the book. They ensure that their staff follows the procedures exactly. The leader neither rely on himself to make decisions and nor the followers, he relies solely on the organizational rule and policies to direct the work processes. This is most appropriate where serious safety risks or large sums of money are involved.
The theory of Path-Goal has specified the following leadership behaviors ( House,1971);
* Directive leadership: a directive leader tells the employees about the expectations from the work gave them specific guidance and ensure that they adhere to the rules and regulations. He / she schedule tasks and co-ordinate work efforts. This leadership works with marginally trained employees, who are performing partially routine and ambiguous tasks.
* Supportive leadership: this type of leader creates a supportive relationship with the employees. He/ she shows concern for their well being and focus on their needs. This type of leadership is appropriate for very professional and skilled workers.
* Participative leadership: the leader coordinates and asks for suggestions from the team members in the decision making process. This style works with moderate level skilled workers. It encourages motivation and mutual objective clarification.
* Achievement oriented leadership: the leader sets challenging goals, which aims to seek performance enhancement and excellence in work. The leader shows confidence on the abilities of employees that they will achieve high levels of performance. It works best for the highly skilled and innovative workers (House,1971).
Contemporary theories today are a remarkable blend of trait, behavior and contingency approaches to the leadership. Leaders in today’s healthcare system lays increasing emphasis on collaboration and team work in all fields of an organization.
* Quantum leadership: this is based on the concept of Chaos theory. This style requires that the employees become directly, equally and accountably get involved in the process of decision making. And the leaders take on a more influential facilitative role, rather than exerting control (Porter O’Grady & Malloch, 2002).
* Charismatic Leadership: in this type of style the leader infuses enthusiasm and energy into his team to work energetically and drives them towards their particular goal. The charismatic leader prove himself as life line of some project or organization and his followers believe that the success of the particular project is linked to the presence of the leader. Therefore, this type of leader needs long term commitments and responsibility from the leader. Few leaders have this quality and those who posses it advance towards revolutionary goals
* Transactional leadership: the basis of this leadership is a social exchange theory (Homans, 1958).the team members are committed to serve the leader completely when the take up...