Choose 10 of the 14 questions and respond using your text, class discussion, and/or organizational experiences.
1. Describe the diversity of today’s workforce, including changing age patterns, and the impact on organizations today and in the future.
a. Diversity is becoming more commonplace now than at any other time in the past. Diversity includes, but is not limited to race, citizenship, age, education and gender. Women have taken up a strong position in today’s workforce with nearly 60% of all women being employed. The workforce is also growing older more so than ever before with baby boomers staying at work longer due to better health and a weak economy creating a need ...view middle of the document...
f. Leadership skills: The development of a leadership style that emphasizes collaboration, trust, and empathy; engages followers in all aspects of the organization; and helps followers to better themselves, i.e., servant leadership.
g. Political skills: The savvy to ascertain the hidden rules of the organizational game and to recognize the roles various people play in getting things done outside of formal organization channels.
h. Emotional intelligence skills: The “intelligent use of your emotions to help guide your behavior and thinking in ways that enhance your results. You can maximize your emotional intelligence by developing good communication skills, interpersonal relationships, and mentoring relationships.”
3. Identify frequent communication barriers within organizations and describe ways to overcome them.
a. Noise, language, jargon, semantics, and attitude are all significant barriers to communication which can exist singly or in multiples. If you are trying to communicate in a noisy place or are trying to communicate with someone about specific details, but do not use the subject specific jargon it is likely that the communication efforts will struggle. When communication takes place in written, oral, or technological form it is important to use strategies that enhance communication, such as direct and clear language, feedback, conducive environment, and it is imperative to take the time to genuinely listen and follow-up in order to insure the intended message was clearly received and understood.
4. Identify a motivational theory and describe how it applies within an organization.
a. Expectancy theory is based on worker perceptions and on relationships called linkages. According to this theory, employee motivation depends on workers being able to perceive an effort/performance linkage, as well as a performance/reward linkage. When employees cannot clearly recognize that such linkages exist, they will not be highly motivated. Expectancy theory is really a simple notion; people will do what is in their best interest. Employees will be motivated to put forth more effort if they believe the additional effort will result in something of value. This theory will only be effective if the worker can recognize the linkage. Therefore supervisors should strive to show employees that increased effort will improve work performance, which in turn will increase rewards.
5. Describe a situation in which you would prefer to solve a problem in a group rather than by yourself. Why? What are the advantages of each approach? The limitations?
6. What is the importance of an organization’s vision? Why should the vision be shared with all employees? What are HR and the supervisor’s role in implementing practices that align with the vision?
7. How does time management help you create balance in all aspects of your life?
a. Time management is critical given my line of work...