Design a Flowchart for a Process
• Select a process that you do every day but would like to spend less time doing, such as driving to work.
I have selected the process of laundering as illustration of flow chart.
• Design a flowchart using an appropriate tool. The instructor is more concerned with your ability to explain how process design works and why it’s valuable than with fancy graphics
I have used the features of Microsoft Word to design the flowchart.
Flowcharts are valuable than fancy graphics as it represents the systematic flow of logic to all the involved members in effective manner. It can also be referred again and again to understand the system as ...view middle of the document...
(16) Adjust the water level as per load.
(17) Upload the cloth in the machine, close the lid and start the machine.
(18) Wait for 45 minutes.
(19) Put the cloths in dryer.
(20) Close the lid and start the dryer.
(21) Wait for 60 or more minutes.
(22) Take the dry cloths out.
Start and end steps are represented as oval shapes. I have used the parallelogram for processing steps except 6,8,10, 13, 21, 23, and 25. Decision steps are shown by diamond shape. Arrow symbol is used for showing the flow of process.
• Identify at least one metric that you will use to measure the process and why those metrics are valuable.
I will use the sorting time for cloths as metric because they are critical in reducing the laundry time. Other steps are automatic in general.
• Submit your flowchart for the process
Begin collecting data for the identified metric every day of the work week. You must submit the data collected at the end of each week. I will need 6 different weeks of collecting data. (You will need to fake the data and do week 1 thru week 6)
|WEEK 1 |Sorting Time for Cloths (Minutes and Seconds) |
|Tuesday |4 minutes 45 seconds |
|Wednesday |4 minutes 55 seconds |
|Thursday |4 minutes 35 seconds |
|Friday |4 minutes 48 seconds |
|Monday |4 minutes 54 seconds |
|WEEK 2 |Sorting Time for Cloths (Minutes and Seconds) |
|Tuesday |3 minutes 59 seconds |
|Wednesday |3 minutes 52 seconds |
|Thursday |3 minutes 58 seconds |
|Friday |3 minutes 49 seconds |
|Monday |3 minutes 54 seconds |
|WEEK 3 |Sorting Time for Cloths (Minutes and Seconds) |
|Tuesday |3 minutes 54 seconds |
|Wednesday |3 minutes 51 seconds |
|Thursday |3 minutes 53 seconds |
|Friday |3 minutes 48 seconds |