Informative Speech Outline
Specific Purpose/Goal: I want my audience to know about an emerging basketball star that has broken the stereotypes and has proven to everyone with will power and with the faith of god, you can accomplish anything.
It’s Feb 14th and the Toronto Raptors are hosting the New York Knicks. It became an exciting game when the Knicks rallied from a 17 point deficit to tie the game at 87 points late in the fourth quarter. With twenty seconds left in the game, Knicks possession, Imran Shupert, who plays Guard position, missed a bank shot, but Tyson Chandler got the rebound and tossed it to Jeremy Lin at the top of the key. With about ten seconds ...view middle of the document...
32-1 record his senior year upsetting Meter Dei 51-47 division state title.
2. Los Angeles Times states that he was the Northern California Division II player of the Year, ending his senior year averaging 15 points, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds per game.
Now that we know his background, we’re going to learn about his college accomplishments.
II. College Career
A. Even though he was spectacular in high school, no recruiters looked at him because he was Asian.
1. With no scholarships to college, he started applying on his own to all the top IVY league schools such as UC Berkeley, his dream school Standford, UCLA , Harvard and Brown.
2. Bloomberg.com states that Harvard and Brown were the only colleges that guaranteed him a spot on their basketball teams.
B. Chose Harvard and joined the basketball team.
1. By his junior year he ranked top 10 in his conference for scoring
2. His Senior year, Lin averaged 16 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists.
3. Graduated from Harvard in 2010 with a degree in economics and a 3.1 grade average.
Now that we know about Lin’s College experience, we’re now going to learn about how he became the star he is today in the NBA.
III. NBA Pro Career
A. Undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft
1. Was invited to play in 5 Summer League games for the Dallas Mavs.
2. According to CNN the Golden State Warriors offered Lin a contract which made him the first Harvard basketball player to enter the NBA since.
3. He was benched his rookie year backing up Monte Ellis and Stephen Curry as the point guard. He barely played and was waived.
4. After the 2011-2012 NBA lockout, two other NBA teams waived Lin.
5. New York Knicks picked him up to back up Baron Davis and Iman Shupert.
1. Coach Mike D’antoni made him start because his two other point guards were injured.
2. Holds the NBA record for first 5 games as a starter to average over 26 points per game and 9 assists.
3. Knick wins...