Multiple Choice Questions
Establishing a Framework for Investors
1. Which of the following is the best definition of wealth?
a. the sum of all current and future income
b. the total of all assets and all income
c. the total of assets and income less any liabilities.
d. the sum of current income and the present value of future income.
2. Stocks and bonds would be classified as:
a. real assets
b. indirect assets
c. personal assets
d. financial assets
3. Technically, investments include:
a. only financial assets.
b. ...view middle of the document...
One reason for the declining importance of pension funds is the:
a. decrease in pension benefits for workers.
b. downsizing of U.S. companies
c. large number of conversions into self-directed plans.
d. increasing number of federal regulations that restrict pension fund portfolios.
9. Most financial advisors are registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission as:
a. registered representatives.
b. registered investor advisors.
c. registered financial planners.
d. registered securities consultants.
10. A Chartered Financial Analyst designation is a (an)
a. SEC-approved and awarded designation.
b. certification of a successful investing record.
c. professional designation awarded for meeting recognized standards of conduct and competency.
d. professional designation awarded by the brokerage industry.
Understanding the Investment Decision Process
11. Underlying all investments is the tradeoff between:
a. expected return and actual return
b. low risk and high risk
c. actual return and high risk
d. expected return and risk
12. Which of the following investment areas is heavily tied to work using mathematical and statistical models?
a. Security analysis
b. Portfolio management
c. Institutional investing
d. Retirement planning
13. Most investors are risk averse which means:
a. they will assume more risk only if they are compensated by higher expected return.
b. they will always invest in the investment with the lowest possible risk.
c. they actively seek to minimize their risks.
d. they avoid the stock market due to the high degree of risk.
14. Which of the following would be considered a risk-free investment?
b. equity in a house
c. high-grade corporate bonds
d. U.S. Treasury bills
15. Security analysis is most concerned with:
a. analysis of the overall securities market and its direction.
b. valuation and analysis of individual securities.
c. purchasing securities at the best price.
d. determination of the investor’s required return.
16. In general, the ex ante risk-return tradeoff
a. slopes upward.
b. slopes downward
c. is flat
d. is impossible to determine.
17. International investing:
a. is only practical for institutional investors.
b. increases the overall risk of a stock portfolio.