Chapter 1 Introduction to Computers
A World of Computers
What is computer literacy?
* Knowledge and understanding
of computers and their uses
* Computers are everywhere
What Is a Computer?
How is a computer defined?
Electronic device operating under the control of instructions stored in its own memory
* Accepts data
Raw facts, figures, and symbols
* Processes data into information
Data that is organized, meaningful, and useful
* Produces and stores results
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Computers
What are the advantages of using computers?
What are the ...view middle of the document...
Used for applications requiring complex mathematical calculations
What is an embedded computer?
* A special-purpose computer that functions as a component in a larger product
Examples of Computer Usage
What are five categories of computer users?
1) Home User
2) Small Office/Home Office User
3) Mobile User
4) Power User
5) Large Business User
What software is available for a home user?
* Personal Finance Management
* Web access
What software is available for a small office/home office (SOHO) user?
* Productivity software
* Specialty software
* Web usage
What is available for a mobile user?
* Notebook computers, PDAs, Smart phones, Tablet PCs