LONDON SCHOOL OF COMMERCE
COLOMBO CAMPUS SRI LANKA
MBA FOR EXECUTIVES
INTERNATIONAL MARKETING MANAGEMENT
Student Name : N.Kushmi.E.R Gunawardane
Student ID No : 0020NLNL1113
Module Lecturer : Dr.Lester Massingham
Module Tutor : Ms. Nilusha Gallage
Date Submitted : 19th June 2014
Total Word Count : 3500
This report plan is written proposal for “Ministry of Crab” (MOC) restaurant to launch overseas. Situated at Dutch hospital, a prominent tourist location in Colombo city, MOC is currently a popular restaurant in Sri Lankan food industry. Author ...view middle of the document...
MOC is an authentic Sri Lankan restaurant specializing in crab and seafood dishes. All menu items are created to heights of gourmet excellence with non-seafood and vegetarian options also available in it. It is a locally owned partnership by prominent cricket personalities of Mahela Jayawardhene and Kumar Sangakkara with famous international chef Darshan of ‘Nihonbashi’ branded as one of the Asia’s best restaurants. MOC was launched in year 2011. Adding a historical value to the location it’s situated in Old Dutch hospital premises which is said to be a very old building complex built by the Dutch in 1677. With the new developments after civil war this place was renovated by the government adding value and beauty to the city of Colombo. MOC menus have varieties of crab dishes along with freshly baked bread, rice, other meats and vegetarian dishes. (MOC, 2014)
1 Why Ministry Of Crab should go international?
• MOC currently has only one branch locally, with fame and prestige they have internationally expansion will be advantageous to increase customer base
• Having more branches will minimize risk of discontinuation and help the continuation the restaurant among seasonal fluctuations.
• To increase market share internationally providing the local culinary experience overseas as well
• This will neutralise increasing costs of local business, considering taxes, goods etc..
• Having an overseas branch will provide more prestige which will attract local customers more.
2 Assumptions and limitations
• Based on available facts author has assumed that united kingdom and Bangladesh will be the best countries to franchise this business
• Author has assumed Ministry of Crab has the financial potential to expand business overseas.
Internationalisation is the process of identifying opportunities and entering a new foreign market. For an example a firm can set up a subsidiary buy an existing business or start up a new one. Also it can do an alliance with a foreign partner or franchise the local firm. Below diagram illustrates many entry strategies to foreign markets in which author has selected ‘franchising’ as a market development strategy for ministry of crab moving to United Kingdom and Bangladesh.
2 What is franchising?
Basically the ideas is Franchisor gives licensed privilege to do business continuously, plus support on training, management and merchandising in order to gain a profit in return from the franchisee (International Franchise Association)
Franchising is an authority given to a firm to sell its goods or services on a certain geographic area. The individual who purchase and runs the firm is franchisee and franchisor is the one who granted permission to do his original business. Franchising has success stories over centuries old. Back in 1850’s when Issac Singer introduced the sewing machine it was...